Disfellowshipping and different cultures

by man in black 4 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

My wife and I walked away from the jw religion 6 years ago.

She works at a school part-time, and several of the maintenance people are hispanic AND active jw's from our area.

They go out of their way to be friendly, but always in a somewhat guarded way.

We were talking about this last night, and she thinks that different cultures do not respect or honor the df / da requirements of the jw religion the same across the board.

I don't believe that,,,, from what I've seen over the years shunning a non believer who leaves or is df'ed is a pretty standard thing. Or is it true that different areas, or cultures adapt their own way of handling this belief?

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I don't know about the da/df thing, but I do know that when I was in I would see some jw's from other cultures do things that would have gotten me in trouble, and it was ignored. When I inquired about it, cause I wasn't the only one witnessing it, I was told it was part of their culture, and a scripture would sometimes be quoted. But they were already witnesses, so I thought right is right and wrong is wrong for everyone. That's crap!

• blondie
    blondie

jws find loopholes for everything. We knew 2 elders who were associating often with their df'd adult children who did not live at home. One rode to work with his son. The other called his son often at work not realizing that jw sat right next to him to hear the conversations and witness how often.

We were told "necessary family business" and to shut up about it.

It varies by congregation...though some families have cultural backgrounds with large, close families.

The 2 elders above, one black, one white, different congregations.

• clarity
    clarity

man in black ... it is so good to see you on here again,

when I came on 2 1/2 yrs ago, I always read your 'stuff' !

>

The only differences I have seen is not so much the culture,

but more the decade .... in some years, they ease up & then

tighten those screws even more.

Such an evil & predictable cult!

>

clarity

• ThisFellowCheap
    ThisFellowCheap

Most people in my sch cong. (where I was DFed) follow the law to the letter*at least most do, the others look left and right and then say a quick hi*, but in my home congo which is almost family-like, hardly does anyone shun me. Yes, contact and communication is reduced, but they still all greet me! And across the family it even differs, maternal side almost all my cousins have cut me off, and even my grandma refuses to assist in loaning her favourite G-son his school fees, but paternal side it's been all love-bombing. Home front same, dad cold mom warm, sister enstrangled brother indifferent. So I think it's not culture, it's perspertive and how much of the Kool-Aid they drinking!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit