I think I'm,,,,,,,,,,,

by Kool Jo 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Hello folks...

So after a year of fading (some ups & downs), reading, researching and even praying....I'm starting to think I'm agnostic...

There are a couple things I'm having a hard time understanding:

1. What's the real purpose of life and creation? So we're created to live a perfect life, two clowns over 6000 years ago made a mistake and everyone is paying for it, although no fault of our own?

2. Proving God's right to rule while millions die each year due to war, crime, naturual disasters ect...that proves God's right to rule, how?

3. Prayers never seem to be answered...I prayed until I almost sweat blood when I was awakened that my parents & loved ones would become awaken about the cult....instead my mom has become more extreme in her practices....going an entire day without eating a meal to "preach" garbage.

4. Why would a powerful being allow humans to use religion as a means of enslaving people?

5. Why is protection given to some people while others receive none? Do you guys recall the bus incident in Miami, Florida where a couple of the friends died while going to a convention....yet if someone had survived, it was God's protection?

There's so much stuff why I just don't buy anymore...it took a while even after being awaken to come to this realization...

Have a great day ya'll!

Kool Jo

• ballistic
    ballistic

1. What's the real purpose of life and creation? So we're created to live a perfect life, two clowns over 6000 years ago made a mistake and everyone is paying for it, although no fault of our own?

The writer of Genesis tried to explain not only how man came to be, but also why he is imperfect by blaming ourselves and not God. It was our own sin that was to blame for this imperfect world and our own imperfections, and death.

Through a modern understanding of science, we understand that life arose in a random way through natural selection and it's that process that not only explains why we got here but it explains the imperfections as well. The process of natural selection isn't perfect and has to work alingside all the other micro oranisms and viruses etc that are also evolving along side us in this complex eco system.

I'll let someone else fill in your other questions.

• moshe
    moshe
    not only how man came to be, but also why he is imperfect

- and just how, pray tell, did they come to know this? Genesis is either factual or full of allegory/metaphor. History and science weight in on the side of the latter.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hey Kool, it is a journey that's for sure. We all have to reconcile what is written in the Bible to what we've been told it means (ie interpretation) to what is, in reality, the truth.

God is supposed to be our Heavenly Father. I don't know any normal human Father on the face of this Earth that would allow his children to starve or suffer from illness or other ailments without seeking help and treatment. It seems really odd to me that a human Father does far more for his children than this omnipotent sky-daddy.

The whole idea of judging and punishing people if they don't accept his son as one's saviour does not align with Love. The fact that there have been, there are, and always will be people on this Earth that have never heard of Jesus shows that this threat doesn't make any sense. I find a lot of Christians have not widened their gaze, experience, and educational scope and still believe things that have been proven to be false. A lot of people wish to remain in the comfort of belief because the mental effort to begin looking at everything is too great for them. But I think alot of people know something isn't quite right.

• ballistic
    ballistic

moshe... AHEM, did you just read the first 2 lines of what I said and then quote it without reading the rest?

That was just a prelude to saying how it is in reality.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Yup, it's a process.

1. The elders in this town are no good
    2. Jehovah's Witnesses don't have the truth based on the bible itself
    3. The bible itself isn't true
    4. There is no god
    5. There may be a god bigger than all religions idea of it?
    6. There's likely no personal god(?)
    7. Why can't we just admit we don't know for sure?
    8. [repeat 4-7 in any order]

As you can see, I'm not done.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Hello Kool Jo.

Sometimes when a building starts to fall down the best thing is to demolish it and start again with new foundations. I guess your questions are about what foundations and of what quality? I think being an agnostic is an intellectually honest starting place.

When I lost my faith years ago I had to start again, while at the same time deprogram myself of JW bias. I found that philosophy was a very pure intellectual discipline and highly useful for processing theological, spiritual and scientific questions. It doesn’t have the same materialist limits as science. So one can ask questions about purpose without being told it is an invalid question, while considering as well if it might be.

Each of your questions could take a book to even begin to answer, but it seems to me that they are all related to each other, so that the answer to one would be the answer to them all. It would be tempting to tell you what the answers are and take my opinion as the right one. However I recon you may have had enough of that type of thing. Do you want to believe there is a God? Is a good question I think to ask.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit