Only people who make mistakes have to admit they made mistakes

by Terry 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Does the JW religion rest on "insider information" or not?

The average rank and file member believes this is true.

There is a "magical" belief about the faithful and discreet slave.

It is muddled, of course.

"How do they know?"

They JUST KNOW....

The FDS with the hotline to heaven likes to revisit old ideas and fluff them up like a pillow.

The Dog Whistle is a device only heard by dogs. Ordinary humans cannot hear it.

The Watcthower Dog Whistle doctrine is only "heard" by anointed Governing Body members.

It is a license to make prophetic claims and set specific dates AS THOUGH obtained from Jah.

Charles Sunutko's "Stay Alive 'to 75":

"Well, we don’t have to guess what the year 1975 means if we read the Watchtower. Because the Watchtower has been very explicit as to what the year 1975 means to us.

1972 "Does this admission of making mistakes stamp them [Watchtower] as false prophets? Not at all, for false prophets do not admit to making mistakes." {WT Nov 1 1972 644}

I think what they MEANT to say was False prophets make mistakes and True Prophets don't.

If you have to ADMIT making mistakes you are admitting you are a False Prophet.

If you wish to write down the page, 262, in the [May 1] 1967 issue of the Watchtower, we read:
    What does the year 1975 mean for humankind? The end of 6000 years of human existence, and possibly, [voice raising dramatically] the time when God executes the wicked and starts off a thousand-year reign under his son Jesus Christ. " End quote.

• glenster
    glenster

They've made every indication of playing prophet and more recently denied that
    they have any special ability to predict. On one hand they ask to be considered
    like anyone who might hazard a prediction without claiming special prophet
    abilities previously implied, but on the other they require followers to agree
    to all GB distinctions, including prediction, or be disfellowshipped instead of
    categorizing current predictions as a matter of personal conscience.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_witnesses#Sources_of_doctrine

They seem to want to be considered as the best at interpreting, the best
    guided short of intervention, and you have to agree to be in the club.

• Terry
    Terry

Reminds me of the folks who claim to be able to talk to "dead" people.

The messeges they receive are muddled, indistinct and often wrong!

• mP
    mP

yang:

The first century christians were wrong because they were mkaing it up as they went along as well, which is not that different with today. There was no holy spirit, miracles, angels etc, just pathetic men making it up.

• Terry
    Terry

There was no holy spirit, miracles, angels etc, just pathetic men making it up.

I personally don't believe they were "making it up" deliberately. I think these were probably some very fine people

who simply BELIEVED what they heard and doubled-down.

A good person who is totally committed can be VERY influential on others.

Seeing a person with a good heart and a purpose suffer for their beliefs is a strong selling point even to skeptics.

A lot of that was going on in the early days of Christianity.

Apologists like to ask why a person would die for "made up" beliefs. I always point out two things: 1.They don't know it is made up 2.The 911 terrorists were willing die for their beliefs. That doesn't prove those beliefs were true beliefs.

But, the topic is about the GB and the test for the false prophet.

If you are a true prophet you have no "mistakes" to admit to!

• moshe
    moshe
    Charles Sunutko's "Stay Alive 'to 75":

When I talked to Charlie on the telephone a few years ago he wasn't even a teensy bit aplogetic about what he said in that talk- in fact he had an arrogant attitude,. I wonder if he has any momentary subconscious flashes of "what if only I had pursued my Hollywood singing career" back in the 50's. I hope so- because, you reap what you sow.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"glensters" comment reminds me of a conversation I had last year with an Elder. After telling him of the WT's numerous failed predictions and changed doctrines:

Elder: "well, the Watchtower has never claimed to be inspired."

Me: "Then why can we not question anything they teach?"

Elder: "because they speak for god".

Me: "oh, so they are inspired!"

Elder: "no, they are not inspired, but god tells them what to say by means of holy spirit and that's what they teach".

Me: "how can you be influenced by god to speak his words and yet not be inspired?"

The conversation went south from there.

• Terry
    Terry

We can't speak without using air to vibrate our vocal cords.

We breathe and articulate our thoughts.

Inspiration from god is called--if memory serves--theopneustos=god breathed.

Inspiration consists of god breathing the words through our mouth.

The breath is re spir ation which contains the spir of spir it. Since it is god's breath it is holy breath or holy spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit