Religion ... making the uneducated respected, daily!

by free2beme 2 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have a brother in law who is by all means a loser. Has three children, all of which are neglected on levels that would shock most people. They live in tents, are fed from food shelters and each one has been held back at least two years. They go from state to state as beggers, and has been photographed a couple times with those "NEED FOOD" signs at a Walmart in the area. His second wife is addicted to presciption medication and does things to hurt herself to get pain meds, even breaking her own foot and worse. When they get money, she takes it to buy meds and not food and the kids are just a mess. All three have been molested by strangers, at least twice and two of the people are in prison. But he still will let anyone baby sit them, so that him and his wife can have private time or get meds. So basically, a loser! Oh, and we reported them to the state many times. Were told as long as he can feed them, give them a place to sleep, they have no money to take them away.

So here is the thing, he claims to speak to God. He claims that God guides him. He barely graduated from High School, can hardly read and was ordained in some small Christian Church that meets in a back room of a grocery store. Yet you know what? He gives advice to those in his church, tells them how to live and gives them direction. People listen to and respect him.... why? Because of religion, and that stupid and unreal concept that because they are "Supposedly guided" by spirit, they are quality.

Could you imagine going to a doctor, and being told God is who guides him and put your life on the line with his advice? Would you seek legal advice from a 4th grade drop out, because he said God was speaking to him? Would you have a man design a building several stories high, that can not read, because he said God gave him a vision? Think about this, and think about the elders of the old congregation too.

I knew of elders who had little education, were in professions like landscaping, janitorial, and other labor "low education" skill jobs. Yet those men came home, put on a suit and people listened to their words like it was some how educated professional level advice. Children died from no blood, people did not report abuse to police, violent relationships carried on. But in the end, these men are not educated and do not hold degrees, PHds, or in some cases even a diploma.

This nonesense is religion and has blood stains throughout history. People should not make life and death, or even important desicions based on low education leadership. Advice, and wisdom is one thing. Listening with the "blank stair" of simply accepting that they speak "God's word" is another. I encourage everyone who left the Watchtower, and any Christians or other religious people on this board. Question who you take advice from, expect more and do not assume anyone is sane. I wish I could help my neice and nephews, but in all reality they are now approaching adulthood and are beyond repair. I can only wait and watch their criminal futures, suicides and teen parenthoods and think "I wonder if they will ever know that blind God leadership was their downfall."

Religion ... making the uneducated respected, daily!!!! and that is SAD

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

After the Witnesses, I can't help but equate Witnesses with stupidity and neglect. Yet Jesus could have chosen distinguished Temple philosophers as apostles. I wonder if they are not fishermen to show that God works and not human talent. The adventures of the Holy Spirit.

Close family members were ignorant b/c they did not have the opportunities I had. Yet they were wonderful people. Casual visitors would remark on their marriage. I remember what they accepted and believe and I want to weep. So sad. Yet they were much better than I am.

• Mum
    Mum

While I agree that education is wonderful and should be accessible to all, I must say, from my own experience, that there are good, sensible, uneducated people whose advice I would take over that of some "educated" people. Some simple people have great honesty and integrity (I recommend the movie Sergeant York as an example), while some "educated" people are unethical, uncaring low lifes.

As one of my philosophy professors once said, An education doesn't "take" on everybody.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit