Mother's Day Reflections

by JustMeNonJDub 5 Replies latest jw friends

• JustMeNonJDub
    JustMeNonJDub

Last night, as I was commuting home from work, I remembered going through my mother's things after she had died of a brain anuerysm a couple of weeks before. My mom was the wife of an elder, and we were the quintessential elder family. In one of her boxes, I found a Mother's Day card that I had made for her in first grade. To this day, I do not understand how setting aside one day out of the year to honor your mother or father is so "pagan."

• Ding
    Ding

Interesting that your JW mother saved it instead of throwing it away...

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

JustMeNonJDub: To this day, I do not understand how setting aside one day out of the year to honor your mother or father is so "pagan."

It's because, "Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God. (Ex 34:14)"

And that attitude permeates the WTBTS from the top down. It starts with the GB and trickles down to the local elders. They simply cannot STAND anyone else getting all the attention, even for just one day. Their freakin' narcissists on steroids.

Nevertheless, that was a sweet memory of your mother. Thanks for sharing!

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

As a child I knew I was not supposed to make those cards for mother's day & father's day. Instead of following the script I would just make a card that would say, "I love you. You are the best mom/dad"

I could never grasp why it was so wrong. It was fine to throw "baby showers" and "engagement parties" which select out an individual for attention, but we could celebrate our parents one day a year?

absurd

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Just remember it was a bitter old drunk who lust for power and control who made mothers day a evil thing. It didn't worship him and because of that he hated it. He was able to twist the bible verse form (Ex. 34:14) to meet his needs. Totally ADD

• Heaven
    Heaven

The reasoning I was given as a kid was that we are not to idolize or put anyone on a pedestal. Of course, this didn't ring true with me since they celebrated weddings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit