Interview with Artem Grigoryan, a former long-standing member of Jehovah's Witnesses

by thomyorke 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• thomyorke
    thomyorke

“JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES DO NOT NEED A SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH”

Interview with Artem Grigoryan, a former long-standing member of Jehovah's Witnesses

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/78966.htm

• steve2
    steve2

Me thinks Artem jumped out of the fry pan into the fire. The question and answer discussion is framed as Orthodoxy versus Jehovah's Witnesses and Protestants.

Yep, JWs are seen as an extreme form of Protestantism.

Artem, have you learnt nothing in your experiences in one organization hung-up on "truth" that you have fallen for another organization hung up on the "truth"?

Puzzlingly, you misrepresent the Witnesses' long-held view that, throughout all the centuries since the first, there have indeed been followers of truth somewhere on earth. Of course, like Artem I no longer believe the Witnesses, but I part company with him in that I view Russian Orthodoxy as being as comically deluded as the Witnesses. The trouble leaving the Witnesses has resulted, in Artem's case, in clinging to the self-same need for absolute certainty, putting him at the mercy of but another absolutist religious organization.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The Orthodox church's clergy have been responsible for backing, fomenting, and personally causing physical harm to J.W.'s and others - people who conflict with their views!!

Similar modus operandi to the Magnificent Seven and their cohorts.

• steve2
    steve2
    The Russian Orthodox Church is closer to the seat of secular power in that country than Bonnie was to Clyde. It is little short of unintentionally risible to read the "Father's" slanted questions damning the Witnesses which Artem dutifully answers like a well-trained pooch. I can take differences in points of view in calm stride but differences in the need to be absolutely - and divinely - correct remains an entrenched turn-off, whether vocalized by JWs , ex-JWs or nonWitnesses.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

steve2 - "...JWs are seen as an extreme form of Protestantism."

Well, they do use the Protestant Bible (albeit heavily Watchtowerized), they are technically "evangelical" (even if they don't use the word), and they do have a history of antipathy towards the RCC.

They're getting pretty extreme, too.

• steve2
    steve2
    Extreme yes but hardly as powerful and oppressive as the Russian Orthodox Church.
  • Arsen
    Arsen
    steve2, if you visit St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona https://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/, you will see how you are far from the truth regarding genuine Orthodox Christianity. It is impossible to compare Orthodox Christianity and JWs. There is an elderly monk Ephrem there, he is a miracle-worker and a spiritual adviser who sees inner thoughts and wishes of people. If you could talk with him, you will realize that apostolic Christianity is still alive.
  • steve2
    steve2
    Arsen, I am talking about the Russian Orthodox Church. I cannot comment in this context on what you describe as "genuine Orthodox Christianity", but I do acknowledge your providing me additional information to ponder. Thank you.
  • Arsen
    Arsen
    steve2,You are welcome! If you read fantastic book "Everyday Saints And Other Stories" http://everyday-saints.com/, which was translated into English recently, you will open a surprising and wonderful world of Russian Orthodoxy for you. Then you could realize what I mean under genuine Orthodox Christianity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit