I wanted to punch this elder so bad!

by OneDayillBeFree 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

So I decided to attend the meeting last. Since I haven't gone in about 2 weeks, and I leave as soon as it ends, and elder decided to corner me at the end.

Lately I've been through some very depressing family issues that are non-jw related so I haven't been my best at acting like I care about the org. So this elder starts saying how much the brothers miss me (although that's total bullshit given that I've never received any calls or texts or emails from ANYONE) and told me that he could tell something was wrong. I told him that recently there had been some problems but that they were PERSONAL and no one needed to know about them. Then he insisted on asking what they were, after telling him that they were personal. So I just said "it's my business. NOT yours. And that's the way it will stay." Then he paused. Raised his right eyebrow and then said, "but I've been noticing that there's something about you, not just recently. This has been going on for a long time now. And, brother, as bad as it may seem to you, as an elder appointed by Holy Spirit it is my business!" I couldn't believe it! And the thing is that we weren't even in the back room! This was at the entrance of the hall. I got pissed. So I told him, "well apart from many other problems that I have which only me and Jehovah have the divine privilege of knowing, I've also just been doing lots of research and lots of thinking. About everything. And this has made me take a step back and just look at everything objectively." I knew that what I had said could raise even more eyebrows and could result in more problems later, but in that moment I just didn't care. I was angry. The elder then said and these are his exact words, "oh I see. Well you shouldn't think brother. Thinking will never lead you anywhere good. Satan wants us to think and think and think. The slave AND Jehovah only asks us to obey. That's it. No need to think at all." WTF?? I almost blurted that out. But I didn't. It wasn't just the fact that he didn't say "think too much", or the fact that he he was speaking in a louder tone so others could hear and having a nasty smirk while doing it, or that he put the governing body before god, but it was the fact that he was actually regurgitating exactly what the governing body actually says. This elder has served in bethel for over 25 years and is a special pioneer. And oh he had made me very mad! I dropped my briefcase, clenched my fists and stared him dead in the eyes and asked, "who created my body?" To which he, taken aback replied "umm, Jehovah". "Okay" I said, "so in that body there's also a brain. Who gave me that brain?" Then the elder said, "um Jehovah." "And what's the main function of the brain?" Then the elder just stared blankly at me, and said "oh haha, I see what you're doing. You think you know a lot huh? But you don't my brother." So I said "if Jehovah tells us to do something, we obey correct?" "Correct!", he responded with another smirk. Almost mockingly. So then I said "what if Jehovah told you to think?" The elder's sly smirk went away. He just stood there. Speechless. Frozen. He had no answer. At that point I grabbed my briefcase and as I headed for the door I said, "THINK ABOUT IT." And left. I haven't gotten a call yet but I wouldn't be surprised if I received any. Why are most elders such assholes? Appointed by Holy Spirit my ass.
  • maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I'm sorry you went through that, but I think your response was great.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Wow. Great restraint.

Why are most elders such assholes? Appointed by Holy Spirit my ass.

I think there are 2 types of elders: Those who think they can make a difference and truly care about the people and show genuine love, and those who are there because of the control and power and influence over others. That asshole seems to be the latter. And both are truly lost. Good luck with your sure to come lynching…

• tif21
    tif21

You should have let him have that fist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit