EXPLAINING (through an experiment) why you believe PRAYER and rituals "work"!

by Terry 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I propose to TEST whether a RITUAL can produce a desired RESULT.

(We pray so that we can get a result, right?)

Try this experiment.

We are going to create a ritual and experimentally test the outcome.

Take 100 pennies and shake them up really well in your hands.

Now, you are going to take a sheet of paper and write either HEADS or TAILS on it. (Let's say "Tails")

Next, make up a really silly ritual such as rubbing an egg on your crotch and belching three times while saying aloud: TAILS, TAILS, TAILS.....

Then, Throw the pennies all at once on the carpet.

Now count the number of heads and the number of tails.

(TAILS REPRESENT SUCCESS heads represent failure. Of what? Of the RITUAL.)

The number of TAILS you get is statistically how many times the ritual you just performed REALLY WORKS!

40 Tails is 40% success. 45 Tails is 45%, etc. Your expected long-term outcome is 50%!!

Not bad, eh?

You see, you can make any damned stupid nonsensical rattle-brained activity meaningful when you attach it to a repetition and a desired outcome.

40% ain't bad.

Question is this: NOW DO YOU GET IT?

Whether you pray for something to happen or perform any ritual to bring it about know this:

As long as your expected outcome is somehow possible it would be impossible for it to NEVER happen after you perform your ritual.

The SELF-FRAUD is believing you MADE it happen with your ritual.

When you look (actively) for patterns you find patterns.

How you fit them into a meaning is religion. (Or, Witchcraft....or anything else).

Rituals appeal to a certain personality type. (Verging on the obsessive.)

Rituals that purport to grant power fill a need. (Especially when you are powerless.)

It would be statistically impossible for a ritual to NEVER work!

Why would Native Americans dance for rain......if rain never came after dancing.....eventually?

• Terry
    Terry

I invariably tell relatives and well-meaning strangers I'd prefer they dance the Hokey Pokey for me instead of praying.

When I'm met with a curious blank stare I explain that dancing the Hokey Pokey is really "what it's all about!"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Auto suggestion works fine. Admittedly it's still illusion and delusion....but hey.

I don't have 100 pence..............but the idea of rubbing an egg on my crotch is starting to appeal to me.

People believe what they want to believe....that's why god (tongue in cheek), invented 'confirmation bias'.

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

This experiment is great for proving the fraudulence of prayer. Unfortunately most people who believe in prayer, will make up a million excuses as to why its not working. ie: "God works in mysterious ways", "God knows you are testing him so he won't comply", etc... If someone wants to believe that prayer works, fine by me, that just means the rest of us are free to look for REAL solutions to REAL problems. Not continually begging ones imaginary friend.

• Terry
    Terry

An outcome is an outcome.

Think about this. If a person gets really ill there is only a small set of possible outcomes.

1.The ill person gets worse and worse and then dies.

2.The ill person gets worse and then better and better and lives.

3.The ill person just stays ill for a long time and finally dies anyway.

That covers it!

The idea of CHANGING an OUTCOME by performing an ACTION is what this topic is really asking you to consider rationally.

If you have 100 people praying for the ill person to get well---you still can only possibly get 1 of those 3 outcomes.

Now, honestly---we have all prayed for a sick person to get better. Why wouldn't we? It doesn't diminish us in the least. We feel better and

the person being prayed for feels better knowing they are loved and that others desire improvement for them.

However--if that is ALL we do.......and is our only first and last resort......

I'm just saying perhaps it shouldn't be our ONLY participation. For good people it never would be, of course.

Think of this topic as a sort of Alert mechanism. We all may need to be mindful it takes MORE than prayer to affect an outcome.

After all---what do we think the medical staff at the hospital are for, right?

I see TV Evangelists with their eyes closed praying for this viewer and that viewer and I have to wonder about what sort of ministry

that amounts to. I can't say that I know. But, to each his own--right?

• Terry
    Terry

An outcome is an outcome.

Think about this. If a person gets really ill there is only a small set of possible outcomes.

1.The ill person gets worse and worse and then dies.

2.The ill person gets worse and then better and better and lives.

3.The ill person just stays ill for a long time and finally dies anyway.

That covers it!

The idea of CHANGING an OUTCOME by performing an ACTION is what this topic is really asking you to consider rationally.

If you have 100 people praying for the ill person to get well---you still can only possibly get 1 of those 3 outcomes.

Now, honestly---we have all prayed for a sick person to get better. Why wouldn't we? It doesn't diminish us in the least. We feel better and

the person being prayed for feels better knowing they are loved and that others desire improvement for them.

However--if that is ALL we do.......and is our only first and last resort......

I'm just saying perhaps it shouldn't be our ONLY participation. For good people it never would be, of course.

Think of this topic as a sort of Alert mechanism. We all may need to be mindful it takes MORE than prayer to affect an outcome.

After all---what do we think the medical staff at the hospital are for, right?

I see TV Evangelists with their eyes closed praying for this viewer and that viewer and I have to wonder about what sort of ministry

that amounts to. I can't say that I know. But, to each his own--right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit