The Cicadas are coming!!!!

by Glander 8 Replies latest social current

• Glander
    Glander

Apparently they will be emerging primarily in the eastern US. Anyone heard them yet? Do they annoy you?

I heard them once as a kid when we were travelling and camping out. So loud!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

They are loud aren't they. Have you ever heard the old saying i t will be (x number of days) until frost when you hear the first song of the cicada.

• TD
    TD

I guess they're at year 17 of the cycle? I remember birds so stuffed with cicadas that they couldn't fly

We don't have that species in AZ

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The last time we dealt with them I was camping. They are so obnoxious.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

is this predicted in revelation?

• Lozza Aussie
    Lozza Aussie

Ah yes the cicadas, we had a few here this summer. Not the usual number we have. The weather gone pear shaped. I only heard them a few times when it was hot. They are very annoying. I remember one year every where I looked on fences and posts they were coming out of their shells ewww those shells give me the creeps I have to knock them off the fence I absolutely hate them. It's coming into winter now so no more until next summer. One way to stop them making a noise is hosing them with water iin the trees where they hang out it shuts them up.

• Heaven
    Heaven

We have them every summer, in Ontario, Canada, usually in August. Cicada nymphs suck sap from the xylem of various species of tree, including oak, cypress, willow, ash, and maple. Adults have their own sucking mouthparts, and also drink plant sap.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I read up on them some time ago and found it interesting how many different variations and time tables they have. Some are bigger than others, some louder, and some more numerous. They are basically hatched to propegate and be food. When looking at them you can see many of them will have deformities. They survive by volume, so that some will succeed in reproducing. So this year is the 17 year batch? I remember the batch in 2011 was pretty bad for a while around here. They are facinatingly ugly little bugs. My ears would ring after being outide. Even inside, windows closed, and air conditioner on you could hear them.

• TD
    TD

In the Eastern U.S., the 17th year has to be seen to be appreciated. It's nothing at all like annual cicadas -

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit