Excellent article on WTBS Abuse Policies

by Pathofthorns 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

This link to a news article on the Society's policies on handling abuse cases is perhaps one of the best ever. It is not an easy read however. In fact some might find it quite painful and disturbing, but it appears to present the facts quite well.

I think all who were involved in this and could come forward to help out in the matter should be commended. [url] http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2001/02/04/ky_jeh.html[/url]

According to church lawyer Moreno, the system worked. Elders did their job, and victims and police did theirs, he said.

"What was the harm?" Moreno said. "The report got made.

"You've got a teen, who has been molested, upset at the elders for not calling the police?" he said. "You can call the police. You're the one injured.

"Who makes the laws? Not us. Don't blame us for the laws, please. Talk to the state legislators of Colorado."

How sad.

Path

• mark menser
    mark menser

This is the best info I have read on this subject. It is well rounded and plausible info. It's a pity that the WTS is primarily concerned with its public image and costly lawsuits.

I still believe that a lot of responsibilty lies with the elders themselves to use their brains in such a situation. Of course if you get a fanatic that insists on handling everything "in house" and the allegations can not be proven because there are no experts involved.

I was in a situation some time ago that where I was told by elders that they could not do anything scriptually. I asked them what the proper view about taking steps of my own would be (today I would not bother asking) and they said that it is was my responsibility to do everything in my power to protect the person concerned (in my role as family head). This advice was sensible IMO.

I later discussed the same case with the service department at Bethel who said the same thing but made the point to keep the fact that JW's are involved low key because it would not be important to therapists etc. what religion was involved. At the time I think they were overly concerned with spin rather than empathising with the victim but they did not discourage from seeking external help.

I know that a lot of bodies of elders would react differently. The WTS needs to continue educating elders to take a common sense approach and not emphasise the possible "bad press" too much.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Path,

Thank you so much for providing a click with a quote - well worth the effort to read - and to understand our, and other, religious organizations. The only difference, we just thought ours was different.

WTBTS lawyer, Moreno, is defending the WTBTS by giving examples of the Catholic Church. What a crock! We were taught we were nothing like Babylon the Great. Now it would seem we mirror her quite nicely.

Mother and daughter went to police to launch the sexual abuse investigation.

Berry was arrested and in July 2000 was convicted of 17 counts of sexual assault. Among his offenses,(graphic abuse. please go to actual newspaper report at url - waiting)........

When Berry showed up for sentencing, so did 29 members of his Jehovah's Witnesses congregation in Wilton, N.H., all of whom spoke in his favor, often in glowing terms, according to court records.

"Whatever charges that have been brought against him have been somehow misconstrued," said Robert Michalowski, a former Wilton elder. "Elders in the congregation would have picked up on (sexual abuse) in a minute."

In sentencing Berry, Judge Arthur Brennan said the church might have done more to help the victim.

"The church didn't help her and the state didn't help her," Brennan said. ". . . Perhaps if somebody had spoken years ago, if somebody had inquired, instead of relying perhaps on Jehovah . . . maybe it would have been . . . a lot less cruel for that child."

The child always ultimately looses.

The elders sat at that kitchen table and listened to her tell what her brother had done," said Kelly Siegler, an assistant district attorney for Harris County. "All they did is tell him to stop and they prayed about it. They just blew it off. No one ever told the police.".....The family sued the church in civil court and in 1999 reached a settlement that bars both sides from discussing the case.

Houston lawyer Jeffrey Parsons, who represented the Jehovah's Witnesses, said he was convinced the church conducted itself properly. "It was really an unfortunate circumstance, but (the family's lawsuit) was not a well-founded case."

Congratulations to all jw's! As more people speak out, with evidence of mishandling of sexual abuse and rape of children, it shows that WTBTS not much different than the religious organizations they have condemned for a century. I'm sure the Catholic Church is having a chuckle about the WTBTS getting their dirty laundry being hung out in public. Of course, the Catholic Church can only chuckle secretly because they're no better and know it.

Thanks again, Path.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 4 February 2001 11:5:17

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    *** g94 1/8 28 Watching the World ***
    Church Insurance Against Abuse Claims
    “The Australian Catholic Church has taken out a multimillion dollar insurance policy to protect itself against claims of sexual abuse by priests,” reports The Sunday Telegraph of Sydney, New South Wales. “We admit it goes on,” said a Catholic bishop in Melbourne, Australia. He asserts that such extensive insurance coverage is normal “for that kind of offence.” According to a support group for the victims, sexual abuse by the clergy is more widespread than the church admits. A spokesman for the group said he believes the church’s focus is more on protecting the clergy than helping the victims. He added that the message “at the very core of the church’s documents is, don’t tell the truth.”

*** g93 4/8 31 Victims of Pedophile Priests Speak Out ***
    Victims of Pedophile Priests Speak Out
    “DURING the past decade, some 400 Roman Catholic priests have been reported to church or civil authorities for sexual abuse of children,” according to U.S.News & World Report. Recently, a national gathering of survivors of such abuse was held near Chicago, Illinois. Many spoke openly of how they had been victimized by pedophile priests.
    But NCR (National Catholic Reporter) notes that speakers sounded another theme repeatedly throughout the conference: “The first abuse is sexual; the second and more painful, is psychological.” This second abuse occurs when the church refuses to listen to victims of abuse, fails to take their accusations seriously, and moves only to protect the offending priests. “Fairly or unfairly,” NCR reports, “they portrayed Catholic clergy as belonging to an unhealthy and misguided group more bent on preserving privilege and power than in serving lay needs.” Several speakers made ominous comparisons to the Reformation, which split the church wide open in the 16th century.
    According to Richard Sipe, a former priest turned psychotherapist and expert on sexual abuse by Catholic clergy, all this institutional denial reveals “a deep, desperate and knowing personal involvement in the problem.” He added: “The church knows and has known for a long time a great deal about the sexual activity of its priests. It has looked the other way, tolerated, covered up and simply lied about the broad spectrum of sexual activity of its priests.”
    Not surprisingly, then, many abuse survivors are suing the church. NCR quotes one attorney who specializes in such cases as saying that there are pedophile-priest cases in each of the church’s 188 dioceses in the United States. He says that out-of-court settlements have run as high as $300,000 per case. U.S.News & World Report says that such suits have already cost the church $400,000,000, a figure that could surge to $1 billion by the year 2000. And the Canadian Press reported recently that some 2,000 survivors of childhood sexual abuse in 22 church-run orphanages and mental institutions in Quebec are suing six religious orders for $1.4 billion in damages.
    Interestingly, though, the aforementioned U.S. attorney, who represents 150 victims of pedophile priests in 23 states, says that he has never yet had a client who was eager to go to court. Each one first tried to seek justice “within the pastoral context of the church.” NCR concludes: “Survivors go to the courts, it appears, not as a first resort, but as a last resort.

*** g93 3/8 28 Watching the World ***
    Dark Side of United Church
    “Most of us come from a rather naive assumption that such things as sex abuse would not occur in the church and would never be committed by clergy,” said United Church minister Sylvia Hamilton. However, Hamilton suggests that “it is a major problem.” According to Canada’s Toronto Star, sexual abuse “ranging from jokes to forced sexual activities—is as prevalent, if not more prevalent, in the church as in society as a whole.” Peter Lougheed, a United Church task-group member, confessed that “the church is a less safe place for the parishioner and for women than the secular workplace.” The Star report adds: “After years of denial and cover-up, the problem is only now percolating to the surface like bubbles in a swamp.”

*** g93 11/8 29 Watching the World ***
    Trouble in the Churches
    “The problem of sexual abuse in the church is not going to go away,” reports The Toronto Star. Sexual scandals among church leaders are widespread. They are not limited to television evangelists and the Catholic Church. Abuse also “happens in the Salvation Army, in the United Church, in the Presbyterian Church,” noted a Salvation Army officer. Anglican Primate Archbishop Michael Peers said that such abuse is a “deep-rooted and dark” problem in the church. According to the Star, Archbishop Peers admitted that in the past this church’s response to charges of sexual abuse “has been denial and control.” Timothy Bently from the Toronto Centre for the Family reportedly stated that if “the churches do not face up to what is essentially a spiritual crisis openly and honestly their authority to preach on sexual ethics will crumble.”

*** g92 5/8 26 What Should Be Done if a Minister Sins? ***
    Also, a 1990 news report about a number of Canadian priests convicted of sexually abusing children says: “Church leaders had either ignored, dismissed or responded ineffectively to complaints of sexual abuse, even though they had received such complaints from victims, parishioners, police, social workers and other priests.”

*** g91 8/22 29 Watching the World ***
    Shielding Pedophile Priests?
    “Some dioceses still shield priests accused of pedophilia,” ran a recent headline in the U.S. newspaper National Catholic Reporter. The newspaper interviewed Jeffrey Anderson, a lawyer who specializes in cases of sexual abuse. He estimates that since 1985, when priestly pedophilia came under increased public scrutiny, there have been over a thousand cases in which priests molested children. Anderson had some harsh words for the church’s response to the ongoing crisis: “It is a continuing saga of avoiding responsibility,” he charges, decrying the church’s focus on protecting the accused clerics. “As a general rule, the institutional response of the church has been willfully inadequate both in tending to victims and dealing with risks.”

*** g90 11/8 31 'Our Shame Is Clear to the Whole World' ***
    And even worse, the church hierarchy failed to act decisively. They were accused of being more concerned about the offending priests than about the victims. Yet, what does the Catholic Bible say about such immoral practices?

*** g90 12/8 31 "A Sexual Crisis" Among the Clergy ***
    The Providence Sunday Journal of Rhode Island states: “Bishops in 29 states . . . have faced claims of damages by victims of sex abuse by Catholic clergy, and the Church has paid at least $60 million so far in judgments and settlements.” In Louisiana a priest admitted to molesting 35 boys and was sentenced to 20 years in prison, although, the Journal says, it was clear that he “had assaulted at least 75 children over 10 years.” And a Rhode Island priest pleaded guilty to 26 counts of sex abuse involving young boys.
    An investigation of Covenant House, a shelter for runaway youths in New York City, revealed that the priest in charge had engaged in sexual misconduct with a number of young men and boys. And the Roman Catholic archbishop of Atlanta resigned after it was acknowledged that he had carried on a two-year sexual relationship with an unmarried mother.
    A conference of U.S. Catholic bishops received a report on the “catastrophe” of priest pedophile litigation. The 100-page report, states the Journal, “detailed a strategy for limiting the Church’s liability from civil lawsuits to $1 billion [$1,000 million] based on the 30 suits then pending.” The lawsuits are being brought by the Catholic parents of the children involved. And psychiatrists who treat the young victims of these crimes report long-term, often permanent, damage.

*** g89 1/22 10 Christendom Walks in the Way of Canaan ***
    “At a time of heightened national awareness of the problems of child abuse, the Catholic Church in the United States continues to ignore and cover up cases of priests who sexually molest children, according to court records, internal church documents, civil authorities and the victims themselves.
    “Church officials insist that a notorious 1985 Louisiana case in which a priest molested at least 35 boys has taught them to deal firmly with the problem. But a three-month Mercury News investigation reveals that in more than 25 dioceses across the country, church officials have failed to notify authorities, transferred molesting priests to other parishes, ignored parental complaints and disregarded the potential damage to child victims. . . . Millions of dollars in damages already have been paid to victims and their families, and one 1986 church report estimated that the church’s liability could reach $1 billion over the next decade.”

*** w90 2/1 25 Exposing "the Man of Lawlessness" ***
    Even now the Catholic Church in the United States is paying millions of dollars in damages to compensate for priests guilty of sexual abuse of children.—Romans 1:24-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10.
    20 Such wrongdoing cannot be ignored by God’s servants but must be exposed for the benefit of others.

*** w94 8/15 11 This Good News Must Be Preached First ***
    Contrast With Christendom’s Clergy
    3 In stark contrast, news reports have time and again revealed many of the clergy in some lands to be pedophiles, immoral swindlers, and frauds.

*** g93 10/8 5-6 How Can We Protect Our Children? ***
    Tragically, adult society often unwittingly collaborates with child abusers. How so? By refusing to be aware of this danger, by fostering a hush-hush attitude about it, by believing oft-repeated myths. Ignorance, misinformation, and silence give safe haven to abusers, not their victims.
    For example, the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops concluded recently that it was a “general conspiracy of silence” that allowed gross child abuse to persist among the Catholic clergy for decades. Time magazine, in reporting on the widespread plague of incest, also cited a “conspiracy of silence” as a factor that “only helps perpetuate the tragedy” in families.
    However, Time noted that this conspiracy is crumbling at last. Why? In a word, education. It is as Asiaweek magazine put it: “All experts agree that the best defence against child abuse is public awareness.” To defend their children, parents must understand the realities of the threat. Don’t be left in the dark by misconceptions that protect child abusers and not children

*** g93 10/8 9 If Your Child Is Abused ***
    Some legal experts advise reporting the abuse to the authorities as soon as possible. In some lands the legal system may require this. But in other places the legal system may offer little hope of successful prosecution

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Path,

Thanks for the quotes - very interesting.

A lawyer for the Jehovah's Witnesses church, which has nearly 1 million members nationally and 6 million worldwide, said it complies with those state laws that require church elders to report abuse.

....said Mario Moreno, associate general counsel for the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, a legal corporation of the church.

Why are the "lawyers" talking for the religious leaders of the WTBTS? Why are "lawyers" talking about sins, spiritual matters? Are there only "lawyers" speaking for the WTBTS now? Who is leading the WTBTS?

waiting

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey Waiting (nice to see you :)

I have asked myself the same thing so many times. Who really is running the show? 95 year old men? I don't think so [any more]. I can't remember when the last time any of these men were men and spoke up and defended the organization they supposedly have in their care.

Path

• Seven
    Seven

Path, Thank you for the link. I've spent the past several hours at a survivors site standing in front of a brick wall. The site's owner has created The Wall-never seen anything like it online, where I could spray paint the first name of my perpetrator and my name and date if I wanted on my piece of that Wall. I filled out the form chose my can of paint. Then I began to read from A to Z all the names scrolling by, on and on. What kind of people...I set my paint can down after standing there for what seemed like an eternity. Not today. I just couldn't do it today. Maybe tomorrow, maybe never.

Seven

Edited by - sevenofnine on 5 February 2001 6:59:56

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Path: Thanks, that was very enlightening although very sad. Waiting has a good point in why is it that only lawyers respond to allegations against the 'church', a term he doesn't seem to mind using. I also noted that he used the term 'screw up' a couple of times and I remember giving a talk cautioning against using euphemisms. Excellent example of how the double face is used. One face to the public (Hey, we're okay, guys, we're just like you!) and one face to the congregation (We speak for God, listen to us or you die!) One message for 'mass consumption' and one for the congregation in a language that only they have been trained to recognize.
    Hugs to waiting and Seven (and any others out there of which I am not aware) who know in a way that, thankfully, none of us ever will, just how much this hurts and how deep and lasting it really is.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Hey Frenchy:

I found the statement you referred to particularly disturbing.

Moreno would not comment on whether elders violated the law in this case but said, "Once in a while, in a small minority cases, elders screw up. They screw up because they don't call here (the Watch Tower legal department). When they call here, they don't screw up."

First of all they openly acknowledge that elders do "screw up". Secondly, the language used is one of disdain for these elders. Personally i would be disturbed if I was an elder, because it is obvious that an elder is expendable for the sake of the reputation of the organization.

While I and most probably use terms like "screwed up" frequently, I'm offended that this person representing "the true Organization" uses the term and uses it so loosely. It comes across very harsh. I too remember talks from the platform specifically condemning terms such as this. And while such talks were perhaps fanatical, those who represent the organization should practice what they are preaching.

But who really is surprised?

Path

• TR
    TR

The WTS simply needs to get out of the counceling business. They need to just get out of business. Few if any of tthe elders have any training except what the WTS gives them, and that's pathetic.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit