Can Jehovah's Witnesses eat blood sausage if its made with only blood fractions

by Watchtower-Free 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Watchtower-Free
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5

It would need to be appropriately seasoned, and served with vegetables.

• blondie
    blondie

What do they consider a minor blood fraction? Is there a food manufacturer that makes such a product?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Actually, I have wondered this too. Wandering in the supermarket I picked up a traditional British Black Pudding pack and the ingredients listed "powdered hemoglobin" (sp?)..Cheekily, I turned to my wife and said "Hey, you could eat this, it only contains 'fractions' of the blood"

She just said "YUK!" You can eat it and cook it if you want to...."..........I did not fancy it either.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Properly fractionalized, as WT defines it, may be acceptable.

In that case, it would be fraction sausage, not blood sausage.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Not just Blood Fraction Sausage .... but whole b lood sausage as well.

"Paul instructs the church that there is NOTHING unclean of itself. He states that he is persuaded of this by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. I Cor.10:23-33 informs us that the Christian is not to question what is placed in front of him at an unbelievers table but is rather to eat WHATSOEVER is set before him. This would obviously mean that the Christian could partake of blood pudding without sinning against God. He would not be defiled by such an act.

Paul's reiteration of this in Romans 14:14-23 is quite remarkable. He says that NOTHING is unclean of itself and thus it cannot defile a believer. He gives however, the same restriction to this liberty as he did for eating meats of fered to idols and things strangled. If a brother is in danger of being offended, the Christian believer must abstain. Could it be that it is in this light that the church in Acts 15 forbids the consumption of blood?

Apart from the danger of offense, Paul clearly demonstrates that the eating or drinking of any food is not defiling to the Christian. This is in accord with what he also said in his letter to the Colossians; namely that no one is to judge us in what we eat, drink, or in respect of a holy day, new moon or Sabbath days. (Col.2:16).

It is interesting that Paul says that he is persuaded BY THE LORD JESUS HIMSELF that NOTHING is unclean of itself. Obviously this would mean that Jesus himself must have had something to say on this matter and if anything can decide this issue it is His word. In Mark 7:14-23 Jesus gives the teaching that would inspire Paul in his belief and set the proper conduct for all Christians in respect to what we can eat and drink. In his discourse, Jesus clearly teaches that there is NOTHING from without a man, that entering into him can defile him. Clearly, the eating of blood pudding is thus not defiling, and therefore not sinful.

This wou ld also mean that Christians (like Jews) are at liberty to receive blood transfusions for there is NOTHING that can enter a man from the outside that can render him impure. The first three restrictions in Acts 15 are all from without, and do not defile because of this. The fourth restriction in Acts however, fornication does originate from the heart and because of this clearly does defile a person."

< from The Issue of Blood in the Holy Bible by M. Eufemia >

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Only if it is done in the missionary position.

• Splash
    Splash

Nice summary Vanderhoven7,

A JW friendly version is White Pudding, but I can guarantee not one JW would try it, 'just in case'.

Splash

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Well since the biblical ban is only for eating blood (Leviticus 7:4, Genesis 9:4,) then I would say no. Even Acts 15:29 clearly shows that in context of things (false religious sacrificial animals) sacrificed to idols, and things strangled its again referring to food.

• TD
    TD

Since cooking fractionates the so-called primary components and since blood sausage is not eaten raw, then we are talking about fractions.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit