Losing religion....Finding God

by jesussaves 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

I've given alot of thought to this subject, myself. I used to blame God for my horrible childhood, and I know alot of people that blame the devil for bad things that are clearly the result of something that they did themselves.

I do believe in the supernatural, unexplained events that go on in this world. I believe that there are people with varying degrees of psychic ability and power. I believe that EVIL is in this world because there are some atrocities that have been committed that are so contrary to human nature, it's inconceivable that someone decided on that course of action without influence from something sinister.

Everything in this world has balance, so if there is an Evil force such as the devil, then there must be a force for GOOD. I think that humans make the mistake of trying to rationalize and humanize GOD.

What if GOD doesn't intervene when people die, because what comes after is so incredible that all the pain and sorrow we felt in life is immediately forgotten? Something like how a woman goes through hours of agonizing pain to give birth to a child, but can feel nothing but joy once she sees what she has labored for. Do you think a caterpillar would want to go into that suffocating cocoon if the metamorphosis on the other side wasn't a beautiful butterfly?

I don't think that God intervenes in every last thing that we do. I believe the bible, and that Adam and Eve (humankind) chose dominion over their own lives. I think that God does answer when we pray, but a lot of times we are looking for a human answer. If you're looking for a human answer, then you might as well pray to yourself. (Is that what atheism is?)

People think too small when they think of God. If a person can believe that God COULD have created the universe then why can't they believe that he COULD solve their problems. My thing is, maybe in the whole grand scheme of things your problem is really not all that important. I have a four-year old daughter whose entire world is shattered when the head comes off of her Barbie doll. In my world, that is absolutely unimportant.

This is not to say that God doesn't care for us or to trivialize anyone's troubles (believe me, I've lived a HELLISH existence). I care for my daughter, but I'm busy working on things that will REALLY matter as far as I'm concerned. Her Barbie's head, to me, is trivial.

God does not belong to us, for us to command on our terms. Faith is trusting that God has your best interest at heart, even if you don't know what that is.

Someone mentioned in Flower's thread that God must be insecure because he adores being worshipped. I will answer that by saying that as a parent, I can never hear 'I love you' from my children ENOUGH. I adore their kisses and hugs. I love when they tell me I'm the best mommy ever. Does that make me insecure. No, I don't think so. I enjoy their showing of love because of how much I LOVE THEM. If me thanking and praising and loving God makes HIM,HER or IT feel anywhere close to how I feel when my children express their love to me then I will make sure to tell GOD that I love him everyday.

Tiffany

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

*sigh* What does a person have to do to get some replies around here? I thought about changing my user name, but I chose it for a reason. Well next time I'll name my topic something like 'Losing religion....finding anal sex.

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

I agree very much with your thoughts:

I do believe in the supernatural, unexplained events that go on in this world. I believe that there are people with varying degrees of psychic ability and power. I believe that EVIL is in this world because there are some atrocities that have been committed that are so contrary to human nature, it's inconceivable that someone decided on that course of action without influence from something sinister.

I just haven't given much thought to it lately because I'm still burnt out from all the years of studying watchtower material. I can't seem to even care about looking at a bible, let alone read one. It's good to think about the possibilities, but it really seems as we'll never get all the answers anyhow. So live life to the fullest and take great care of our children and make every second count.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

jesussaves,

You do make some valid points:

Everything in this world has balance; I don't think that God intervenes in every last thing that we do. True.

However as far as the parent-child analogy, [and mind you I agree that we are children of God, or rather, as I'm Pagan, the Goddess and the God] while a Barbie's head is unimportant in the scheme of things and a parent can see it's a trivial problem, a good parent makes themselves care about it because it effects the child. I have kids and I deal with my share of Barbie doll heads [et al] and the worst thing you can do as a parent, is let a child know you see their problems as trivial, even if they are.

And likewise while we as parents love the adoration we receive from our children, we cannot force them to love us, nor can we punish them when they don't shower us with kisses and affection. They can love us, but they don't always approve or agree with what we do, and sometimes they are justified in being angry or disappointed in us. Likewise we would be wrong to dictate how and when and where they can show their affection also - if your baby says, "I wuv u mamma -" do you complain that they did not pronounce the words correctly? No. If God is our parent, then he/she or it should be pleased with our personal interpretations of worship/love and not dictating, as too many religions systems insist, on a particular way everything should be done.

Silverleaf

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I think your post was BRILLIANT. You've truly hit the nail on the head. I know, I know, you doubters can now take your best potshost...I don't care, she's said almost 100% of what I believe.

Don't worry about changing your name...give the thread a little time to get going (either that or people are going to have a hard time responding to something so succinct.)

Everything in this world has balance, so if there is an Evil force such as the devil, then there must be a force for GOOD. I think that humans make the mistake of trying to rationalize and humanize GOD.
    That was what I was trying to say on the "GHOSTS" thread. That if GOD exists (I know He does) then there has to be a counter...like Yen and Yang....opposites...positive and negative - therefore a belief that demons are real. And conversly, if there truly is EVIL, than there must be the counter - GOOD (or GOD).

What if GOD doesn't intervene when people die, because what comes after is so incredible that all the pain and sorrow we felt in life is immediately forgotten? Something like how a woman goes through hours of agonizing pain to give birth to a child, but can feel nothing but joy once she sees what she has labored for. Do you think a caterpillar would want to go into that suffocating cocoon if the metamorphosis on the other side wasn't a beautiful butterfly?
    Exactly....we humans look at our 'miserable' lives and say how tough it is, not really understanding WHY we are put through these 80 odd years (if we're lucky, or unlucky as the case may be)... when the reality is this is just a fleeting moment for us in eternity.

I believe the bible, and that Adam and Eve (humankind) chose dominion over their own lives.
    Again, I'm with you there. I think GOD knew Adam and Eve would Fall...that's how to get His plan started with the human race. We are not born into Sin...but it sure doesn't take us long to figure that out.

People think too small when they think of God. If a person can believe that God COULD have created the universe then why can't they believe that he COULD solve their problems. My thing is, maybe in the whole grand scheme of things your problem is really not all that important. I have a four-year old daughter whose entire world is shattered when the head comes off of her Barbie doll. In my world, that is absolutely unimportant.
    That is very funny, but an excellent comparison. What is that scripture that says: "My thoughts are not your thoughts"... yet we always want to pidgeon hole God, and have our thoughts be His. We seem to have plenty of 'Barbie Dolls' to get upset about with God .
  • LDH
    LDH

Tiffany,

Speaking for myself, I'm not ignoring your posts. But I seem to have developed a severe case of ADHD when it comes to discussing "Spiritual Matters."

I (truthfully) couldn't even read your post. One day, I hope to 'get over it.' In the meantime, God "is not so unrighteous as to forget my righteous acts."

Love,
    Lisa

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

LOL at Lisa! I understand completely. I shouldn't be complaining. I'm one of those people that skim over posts that have more than a couple of paragraphs. Lately, though, I've been reading even some of the intellectual posters like Farkel and AlanF and some of the prolific posters like Flower. Maybe they're wearing off on me.

Silverleaf,

True, the bible gives examples of God punishing people for disobedience. If we love God, we will obey him. In the bible, Jesus says that the two greatest commandments are to love God with all our hearts and to love your neighbor. As far as every little law and ordinance of these religions out here...Well, I love God with all my heart and I try to love my neighbors! Religion is not relationship. Alot of religions, not just JWs are messing up the relationship part for people.

BTW, I do put the barbie heads back on for my daughter! When I get to it.

• rem
    rem

Yeah, if elves exist then there must be anti-elves too! Ying yang and all. ;)

I agree that there are many unexplained things in the world. The difference is that I don't automatically posit supernatural causes to such unexplained phenomenon. It's a logical fallacy to do so - an argument from ignorance. It's also known as the god of the gaps fallacy.

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit