3 years into my fade

by gutted 9 Replies latest jw friends

• gutted
    gutted

Wow so here we are, April 25th. 3 years ago to this day something within me made me google my former religion. It was all the the years of doubts concentrated into one all nighter to have the veil drop like a sack of shit. And boy did I feel like shit. Those first few days, weeks, months were tough. It was like I had unplugged from the matrix and, crap, what do I do now? How do I live my life, is there a point to living, oh god I have so many issues, I'm f*cked, please God help me, there is no god, maybe... etc etc etc. You get the idea, lots and lots of questioning. Even though I knew logically the witnesses were wrong it took (and is still an ongoing process) a long time to emotionally break free. I read all the great books which helped a lot (CoC, Combatting Cult Mind Control and tons of internet). I was on these forums religiously, ha, and they helped a lot. Slowly I stopped meetings, service, JW association altogether. It got easier and easier. Then I was confronted with my personal demons again and again and learning how to live life independently.

I will save you all the details on my personal journey (or hell) but currently I am in a good place. I live on my own and have learned to enjoy my own company. I realized you have to be a little selfish and invest in yourself and things that you value and enjoy which is hard as a witness due to all the guilt. I have good relationships with my family, even those that are witnesses and it took a while but now they see me as a good person who ideologically doesn't believe in what they do. I still struggle sometimes but with issues that I feel are now removed from when I was a JW, if not coloured by some of my history in the religion.

Wanted to write this to let people who might be in those first stages know there is a positive place they can reach. Through anxiety, depression, doubts, conflicts with other JWs we all have a different journey and I realize not all of us come out of it "fixed" but there really is no "fixed". We all have our path and I am just glad that I am not living a lie and thank you to those here that helped me and continue to support others through their fades and DF/DA.

• Gayle
    Gayle

dear gutted,, Just to let you know I "like" your comments and the process for us that we relate.

We will never 'feel' top of the most knowledgable of the world. the most righteous, the 'only' good or the 'only best' anymore. Nor do we 'want' that anymore, as it was only a 'lie,' a falsehood from the WTS.

Therefore, we grow better in peace and non-judgementalism, one day at a time.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Congratulations on being "clean" for 3 years!

• mind blown
  • neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

gutted- Wow, I can truly relate and know where you are coming from. Looking back, I really benefitted from being able to read of others similar journeys on coming to a degree of sanity. I probably would not have made it without the help from this forum.

Great Post! And you hang in there and keep moving forward!

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Good for you gutted- You are free and a better person for it that's A W E S O M E

• Zordino
    Zordino

Gutted, I can totally relate to what you mean. Although we are all at different stages in our journey, its good to know there are many of us in the same boat and can share our experiences on the forum. Glad to hear you are doing Ok.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks for sharing your story, personal experiences like this really help others who are maybe currently at that stage you were in their own lives.

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

Hello, gutted. Here is a quote I thought you would find relevant to your experience. I know that I can relate to it.

“[Psychologist] Stanley Milgram . . . pointed out that people who disobey destructive authority suffer psychologically, too. Often a person who disobeys finds himself at odds with the social order, and may find it hard to shake the feeling that he has been faithless to someone or something to whom he pledged allegiance.” (From the book The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout, Ph.D.)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Your story offers up some optimism to others.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit