firstborn son

by jhine 0 Replies latest jw friends

• jhine
    jhine

IN a recent discussion with my JW friends we looked at Col 1 and the subject of the supremecy of Christ . I naturally pointed out that it states that without Jesus nothing was made so Jesus can't have been made . I pointed out where the Org wrongly inserts the word other to change the meaning completely , which at first they refused to see as having bearing on the meaning but after I had said NOTHING was made without Him a few times they fell back onto the fact that Jesus is called the firstborn of creation and stated quite forcefully that if someone is born then there was a time when they did not exist .

Now I know that this is not what is meant so looked at a few commentaries which talk about the status of the firstborn in the OT and how sometimes the person out of the womb first is rejected in favour of another son who is then called "firstborn " Links were made to Adam who was in sense disinherited and the fact that Christ is called the second Adam (you can see where that is going )

What I want to ask though is does anyone know if the Jews ever refer to YHWH as the firstborn of creation ?. Two commentaries made reference to this but I have been unable to confirm this by Googling any of the possible words that I could try . If this is true then it puts an interesting spin on the Col passage

Any thoughts or comments will be very welcome

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit