Treating Acused Pedophiles

by kheli 6 Replies latest jw friends

• kheli
    kheli

I thought this article about treating accused priests was interesting.

http://www.boston.com/globe/spotlight/sexabuse/related/040302_treatment.htm

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

SICK is right! The recovery rate is very very minimal, if that. I have not seen nor heard of recovery rates. The damage they cause is devastating.

Guest 77

• jamaica
    jamaica

"SIG' 380 better and faster and guaranteed.

• teejay
    teejay

Excerpts from the article...

''No institution can police itself,'' said David Clohessy, national director of the Survivors Network for those Abused by Priests. ''If the church wants to restore trust, leaders should be more open about these treatment facilities. If chemical companies said, `Just trust us - send us your dioxins; we'll clean them up,' the public would be wary.''

... psychiatrists at the Institute of Living in Hartford accused church leaders of intentionally disregarding their clinical advice ...

The two-decade relationship was shaken after New York Cardinal Edward Egan cited the institute's psychiatric reports to justify his decisions to return priests to the ministry, where some reoffended. Top psychiatrists then told reporters at The Hartford Courant that church leaders had used psychiatrists' advice as cover to rush potentially dangerous priests back into ministry.

''I found that they rarely followed our recommendations,'' said Leslie Lothstein, director of clinical psychology at the institute. ''They would put [priests] back into work where they still had access to vulnerable populations.''

''The mindset of these folks was to get him back there, that somehow the guy was fixable,'' said Schoener. ''They are a key part of the mistake.

''It's not that I don't blame the church. I blame them both.''

-------------------------------------------

I asked a college psychology professor (who also works secularly in the psychiatric field) about the treatment of pedophiles. According to him, treatment was a very, very difficult, long-term affair and even then the prognosis wasn’t very good. Hurrying a pedo through treatment and then exposing them to still more potential victims just ain’t the way to go.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

jamaica,

Welcome, and I can see your point! ( or should I say muzzle) lol

HCM

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

There is a special lead treatment for pedophiles that ensures they never commit the crime again...

• joelbear
    joelbear

If a pedophile seeks treatment before he harms a child then I think he should be treated with compassion and support.

Once he harms a child he should be killed.

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit