A Goal for Young JWs-The Schwarzman Scholars Program

by fulltimestudent 0 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I post this with my own life in mind. My experience as a 'faithful' Christian 'mindfully' following the witness version of Christian ideology, has given me valuable insights into some of the situations I encounter in world history, particularly those situations involving ideology. I can better understand (I believe) the mind of one of the North Korean elite, than most observers.

Studying early Christianity, last year, I could intimately insert myself into the struggles that tore early Christianity apart, both the pragmatic problems involved in the congregation's treatment of those Christians who compromised during the attempts by the (Roman) state to enforce ideological unity, and the doctrinal struggles, during the early Church's slowly evolving view of God the father and his son.

OK, you ask, what has that got to do with the thread's subject of the Schwarzman Scholars Program? Simply, that I'm suggesting to any intelligent young witnesses who may be wasting their life in pointlessly going house to house with the never-to-come good news of Christ's return, to think again and to use their valuable and hard-won experience to become intellectuals that may make a genuine difference to humanity.

This new educational program is being described as the biggest educational program since the establishment of the Rhodes Scholar's program, in the early years of the 20th century. Famously the witnesses, Freddy Franz, is said to have had an opportunity to become a Rhodes Scholar, but refused the opportunity, so that he could devote himself to Watchtower scholarship - something that near 100 years after 1914, is as clearly a failure, as that other American religious movement, William Miller's adventism. So his choice was a big mistake for the young Franz.

The Schwarzman trust, with a $300 million endowment is the single largest philanthropic effort ever undertaken in China by largely international donors. On its web-page the program is described as operating as follows:

Quote-

" The 200 scholars chosen annually for this highly selective program will work towards a one-year Master's Degree at Tsinghua University in Beijing-one of China's most prestigious universities. As individuals who want to have a positive impact on the world, Schwarzman Scholars will be selected based on their academic credentials, extracurricular interests and leadership potential.

During their stay, students will be given access to a privileged range of cultural and academic experiences, from travel to all corners of China to exchanges with global leaders and mentorship with experts in their chosen discipline. They will also spend their year immersed in the local economy and social life-before classes begin, a summer orientation will provide opportunities to learn Chinese, explore Beijing and meet fellow students and faculty."

Since the failure of the Christian hope (whether traditional or unconventional) is manifest, we have to face the plain fact that since no divine God will descend to us and lead us to a promised land, the only alternative is to do it ourselves. The world of humanity is already converging (because of more than 100 years of improved communication), this program, like the still existing Rhodes Scholar's program can help our best and brightest people to be a force for human good.

45% of students selected will be from the USA, 20% from China and 35% from the rest of the world. I predict that within 20 years this remarkable gift will be proving to be a positive force for good in the world.

If your interests are from these disciplines - public policy, economics and business, international relations or (in the future), engineering, then consider working toward selection as your goal.

Finally, it can be stressed that this is an international effort, the curriculum was developed in collaboration with academic leaders from Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Duke and other prestigious universities.

Selection will open many wonderful opportunities in each student's future. Go for it.

The web-site for the Schwarzman program is at: http://schwarzmanscholars.org/program/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit