R Rated Movies

by BU2B 2 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

For JWs in the USA. Did you watch them as a mentally in JW? Do you watch them now?

Where do JWs get this idea that they arent supposed to watch R rated movies? Must be in talks because they dont seem to be in the literature. Maybe its because you cant watch R rated movies and get into Bethel.

Movie ratings vary so much from country to country. A movie may be rated R here and rated 11 in Sweden. On the other hand a movie may be PG-13 here and 15 in Sweden.

It is just one of the multitudes of things that irk me about the WTBTS! The fact that the members are like children and cant use their conscience to see a movie dubs are watching the next country over because its rated more leniently there! Movie ratings were designed for parents to help decide what their children can watch, but the WT takes this and makes grown adults like children telling them what they can and cant see. A witness may be grilled if an elder finds an R rated movie in their cabinet, yet elders in another country can have people over for movie night in another country, and see the same film and not even bat an eyelash.

I know this is nothing compared to the larger issues, but it is so irritating to see the control people give to the WT even when its not even printed in the WT!

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

You are right! And to answer your question I was a good JW and didn't watch R rated movies...until about 23, then I went all out and started watching horror movies. My 2 all time favorites are Predator and Alien. I have some R rated movies and I would just make sure they were in my sock drawer or under the bed. Now I don't care.

It's just a control thing on the WTBT$ part. It's the same thing with video games. I've heard specific video games by name mentioned from the platform, but you can never find those same games written down in any publication.

I was just talking with a co-worker this morning, and we were talking about how the more control someone tries to exert and the more "freedom's" you take away that will lead to people rebelling more. We were talking about kids, but the same idea can be applied to the Borg. The more freedom's WTBT$ take away from people the more JW's that will slip through their fingers. (I think that was a line from Star Wars too "the tighter your grip (Vader) the more star systems will slip through your fingers") I think we are starting to see this now.

I find it amazing how the more WTBT$ is telling the R&F don't go on the Internet, there are still new people joining us every week. It's the same with movies and entertainment. The more they say don't do this...they are doing it.

Nice topic!

Gojira (I will never compromise my integrity)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I hear ya! For me, it's all about content. It's the same with video games. Some people won't play M-rated games. Those same people will play Teen-rated games with cursing, partial nudity, drug references, blood, violence. ect... Then those same people will not watch Harry Potter, but they will watch LOTR and The Hobbit. They won't watch The Matrix, but they will watch an R-rated documentary.

I really do try to think about the content, especially since I have a kid. I also practice the " Don't ask, Don't tell " movie and game policy. Certain movies will be watched, and certain games played, when Dad is home alone. There will be no evidence left behind to stumble weak consciences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit