Calgary Issue Continues

by messenger 7 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

. http://www.canoe.ca/NationalTicker/CANOE-wire.Jehovahs-Transfusion.html

April 3, 2002
    Alta. court to hear appeal of Jehovah's Witness teen over blood transfusions
    CALGARY (CP) -- A 16-year-old Jehovah's Witness who is being forced to receive blood transfusions will try to convince a judge Thursday that she is mature enough to choose her own treatment in her battle against leukemia.
    The girl's lawyer plans to ask the Court of Queen's Bench to overturn a lower court judgment that said the girl doesn't have the maturity to refuse the transfusions, partly due to her religious upbringing. The Witnesses believe that the Bible prohibits consuming blood in any way.

"I find that her life experience, her social experience has been very limited," provincial court Judge Karen Jordan ruled on Feb. 18.
    "That is not unusual in the context of the environment in which she was raised," Jordan said. "Many children are limited by various social and religious circumstances.
    "It is not a criticism, it is simply a finding of fact."
    The judge gave the Alberta government temporary custody of the girl and granted a medical treatment order allowing the transfusions.
    The girl and her family cannot be named because she is now a temporary ward of the province.
    Since the court ruling, the girl has had intensive chemotherapy along with 12 blood transfusions. She is scheduled for another 18. Her doctors say she is certain to die without transfusions, compared with a 40-50 per cent chance of survival with them. Her health has now improved to the point where she's been able to go home on weekends.
    Lawyer David Gnam has argued the treatment violates his client's constitutional rights to equality and freedom of religion.
    "Her rights as a mature minor, as a person capable of making the medical decision, are being refused simply because of her arbitrary age," Gnam said.
    Jordan ruled after hearing testimony from the girl, her parents, doctors and child welfare workers at a makeshift courtroom at the Alberta Children's Hospital.
    The case has caused a rift in the family. The girl's two sisters and mother support her stand against the transfusions, while her father has consented to them and says he is now shunned by the Jehovah's Witnesses as a result.
    The father says his daughter would likely be dead if the family hadn't moved to Alberta from Belleville, Ont., three years ago. Her lawyer says his client wouldn't be battling the issue in court if she were living in another jurisdiction.
    In Alberta, the Child Welfare Act states that the province has to protect children under 18 by ensuring they get essential medical treatment.
    In Ontario and several other provinces, such laws affect those under 16. Ontario also has its Health Care Consent Act, which allows children regardless of age to decide their own medical treatment as long as they are fully informed, understand the consequences and are individually deemed a mature minor.
    "I understand there is always a risk in my not taking the blood transfusion and that there is a good possibility that I might die," the Calgary girl told court. "And I do not want to die."
    But accepting blood transfusions would be disrespectful to God, she said.
    "Because of all the things that he has done for me, such a loving and merciful God, and he does not ask for much in putting down his principles, and that would be turning my back on him.
    "I don't think I could do that. That would hurt me too much."
    Her tearful mother testified that she supports her daughter's wish to refuse transfusions -- even though it may lead to death.
    "It upsets me at the thought, but I have my hope from learning through the Bible that Jehovah God promises us a paradise," she said.
    "I know I will see her there because she died with her faith intact."
    The girl's father testified that his daughter has had a sheltered life and is too immature to understand the concept of death.
    "She's had very little life experience," he said. "She's never really seen anyone die or seen a tragedy or experienced a traumatic experience."
    He recalled several conversations between church members and his daughter during recent hospital visits.
    "They were encouraging her to die for her faith," he told court.
    "And that Jehovah would look upon her as doing the right thing, or they would say that she was doing the right thing by dying and not accepting blood transfusions."
    Gnam intends to introduce new evidence showing that his client has gained valuable life and death experiences while in hospital.
    "She has been in the position that Judge Jordan has said she never had experienced before," he said.
    Gnam has also applied to the court for his client to go to California or Ontario to receive alternative treatment that doesn't involve blood transfusions.
    Alberta government officials said they will allow the move only if her doctors approve the proposed treatment.

• dmouse
    dmouse

This is a truly heart-breaking case. I don't often read the threads on this issue, not because I don't care, but because I find the topic too traumatising. I remember being in hospital with my own son who was critically ill with a collapsed bowel, he was only two years old. The doctors said that during the operation a blood transfusion may be required. As a JW then I made the decision that I would deny my son the transfusion and signed the relevant papers absolving the hospital of any responsibility.

So, I passed the ultimate test of faith, being prepared to sacrifice my only son on God’s say-so.
    But let me tell you it was the worst night of my life, and the emotional trauma was such that I never fully recovered my faith. Six months later I realised with horror what I had nearly done at the whim of a godless cult and left the JWs forever.

But I still have the emotional scars even today, and when I see stories like this I am haunted by images of that night when I nearly sacrificed my son to the fires of Baal.

I wish the father in this case every good thing; I know what he is going through.

• dmouse
    dmouse

And another thing:

The girl's two sisters and mother support her stand against the transfusions, while her father has consented to them and says he is now shunned by the Jehovah's Witnesses as a result.
    Whatever happened to the edict that no action would be taken against JWs who decided that their conscience would allow them to have a blood transfusion?
  • dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I'm glad the courts are finally dragging this Jehovah's Witness CULT out of the 16th century and holding it accountable for its teachings, and for the damage it ahs done over the last 50 or so years.

The issue boils down to INFORMED consent. If you state to your physician that "God is going to kill me if I take blood becasue some 12 angry men in Brooklyn told me so in a magazine" well, I'm sorry, it strains credulity.

If the surgeon being sued right now over a blood transfusion wants to , he can defend himself be saying that IN HIS BEST TRAINED JUDGEMENT, his patient's consent was NOT INFORMED, was not willful and freely givin, but was done under duress (he would have been expelled and shunned by his religion). But I imagine that the lawyers for the surgeon's insurance company will just buckle under and fork out the cash, unfortunately.

The medical field has been saying for a long time that this 'consent' issue of JW's needed to be dealt with socially and legally, but they couldn't get any public support.

Maybe now they will.

This same group of people screaming for their 'medical' choices to be respected are now beating, raping, and murdering one another at a rate unprecedented in their 120+ year history. It strains their credulity a LITTLE--YA THINK????

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The edict that no one is punished for accepting blood is merely a sham - yet another example of inside/outside doctrines.

For outsiders, no official disfellowshipping takes place. But everyone on the inside knows that the unofficial shunning is exactly the same. It is the same policy for voting and joining the military.

They lie to the public, but still enforce their stupid, vicious policies internally.

The only good thing coming out of this case is that the Witnesses are being treated to a very public airing of this issue.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Talked to L.H. (father) this morning.

He sounded okay and his lawyer was sounding okay too.

I don't know what happened today.

But L.H. wanted to thank all who have sent Emails including Marvin Shilmer.

L.H. was going to try and phone me back later tonight to let me know what transpired.

The issue was to be between the hospital lawyer and the Witnesses lawyer to see if the daughter was old enough to make her own decision.

hawk

p.s. - thanks messenger

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

- http://canada.com/news/story.asp?id={8095BC4B-BD72-44DF-8884-3B41448952A7}

Jehovah's Witness teen appeals Alta. court ruling forcing blood transfusions

CAROL HARRINGTON
    Canadian Press

Thursday, April 04, 2002

CALGARY (CP) - It is cruel and inhumane to hold down a drugged 16-year-old Jehovah's Witness girl on a hospital bed and force her to receive blood transfusions against her religious beliefs, her lawyer told a packed court Thursday.

"She fights back with all the strength that she can muster," David Gnam said of his leukemia-stricken client.

"It defies common sense and human compassion to continue this battle."

The girl is asking the Court of Queen's Bench to overturn a lower court ruling that says the girl isn't mature enough to refuse blood transfusions. She wants to go to the United States for treatment that doesn't include blood products.

The girl and her family cannot be named because she is now a temporary ward of the province.

The lower court ruled Feb. 18 the girl doesn't have enough life experience to make the weighty decision, partly due to her strict religious upbringing. The Witnesses believe that the Bible prohibits consuming blood in any way.

Gnam argued Thursday that since the Alberta government got temporary custody of the girl and received a medical treatment order for the blood transfusions, his client has had valuable experiences from intensive chemotherapy and 12 blood transfusions. She is scheduled for another 18.

"She has literally looked death in the face," Gnam said. "She has grown over the last seven weeks."

The court also heard a motion to have Gnam as well as the lawyer representing the girl's mother - who supports the girl's wishes - removed from the case.

Robert Calvert, the lawyer representing the girl's father, who wants his daughter to get the transfusions, said the two lawyers work at an Ontario law firm that solely represents the Witnesses' Watchtower Society.

He claimed the lawyers "preserve" the Witnesses' religious views and don't give their client "objective advice."

"A bias has impeded the judgment and advice that has been given," Calvert said. "The concern is misinformation."

But their lawyer, Ed Molstad, argued his clients are acting in an "objective and professional way." He claimed Calvert's motion was an attempt to delay the hearing.

Justice Adele Kent ruled the lawyers could proceed at the appeal hearing, and reserved decision as to whether they have a religious bias.

Although the girl's doctors say she is getting the best available treatment for acute myeloid leukemia, Gnam told court the blood transfusions are nothing more than experimental.

"It is not essential treatment," he said. "It is research."

Since she went into hospital in mid-February, the girl's health has markedly improved, with her platelet count doubling. She has since gone home several times on day passes.

The girl is applying to the court to go to California for treatment that includes chemotherapy but not full blood transfusions.

"She has been denied the right to choose another doctor or another hospital," said Gnam, who has argued for his client's rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Alberta government officials said they will allow the move only if her doctors approve the proposed treatment.

Under the current treatment, her doctors say she has a 40-50 per cent survival rate. Without blood products, they claim she will die.

The girl and her family moved to Calgary three years ago from Ontario, where child legislation is in effect until the age of 16.

Ontario also has legislation whereby children regardless of age can decide their own medical treatment, so long as they are fully informed, understand the consequences and are individually deemed a mature minor.

In Calgary, after interviewing the girl, a psychiatrist and a pediatrician deemed her to be a mature minor with the capacity to refuse medical treatment.

© Copyright 2002 The Canadian Press

hawk

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

"It defies common sense and human compassion to continue this battle."

Hear, hear. Why don't they follow their own advice?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit