Good vs Evil

by DeWandelaar 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I was wondering lately... what I do not really understand:

If there was only perfectness and goodness in the beginning of the world, WHY was there even knowledge about good and evil in the heavens?

Genesis 3:5 says:

5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

and

Genesis 3:22-23 says: 22 Then the Lord God said, q “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand r and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—” 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden s to work the ground from which he was taken.

If we were made in the image of God... why did men not KNOW evil?

The only explanation I can make is that they (human's) knew the boundaries... but that they had not known (experienced it) yet... but if that is correct then in heaven "evil" had happened before (because it was already experienced by God and Jesus?

Am I thinking to much?

• James Brown
    James Brown

If people have free will, they can choose to be evil.

You can have perfection and goodness but also know if you create

free agents they can choose to contaminate the perfection and goodness with

evil. If they did not have that choice they would be robots.

It seems to me that this earth and life is a way station for future destinations.

Birds of a feather flock together. In the next life some will enter a godless world and have eternity to ponder

the wisdom of their choice and others will have the world of a god of their choosing.

Be careful what you choose.

• Mum
    Mum

Could there be a concept of "good" without its opposite?

• James Brown
    James Brown

can there be a disc or coin with only one side?

can you have the ying with out the yang

day with out the night.

hot without cold.

If there is no oposite than you have a programed robot.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

What is the opposite of you ? or are you a robot ?

(I suppose the opposite of James Brown is a non singer ?)

Trying to make sense of the Garden of Eden story is like trying to make sense of a very poorly written fairy story, not so much like, as is in fact.

But, may I play Devil's Advocate ? could the writer mean "know" good and evil, not in the mere sense of knowledge of right and wrong, but in the sense of having practiced both ?

• Slavenomore
    Slavenomore

OP, good question, definitely something to think about.

James brown,

were not the first simple robots programed with binary language. Up down, left right, light on and off type of programming. But those which are more complex are described as having artificial itelligence? Those with hands that know the difference between and egg and a beer stein?

When does hot begin and cold end? A robot with AI could distinguish subtlies of temperature, but its only humans that can distinguish the subtleties of other things too complex to program as of yet.

Could The simplistic good/bad and day/night binary opposition supporter entertain a 3rd possibility of say a spectrum, like a rainbow. And while we are discussing the good/bad simplification, Then who is the judge of good and bad? The god flavor of the day or culture? I do not know the god of your choosing,but the god of the bible had its cultural apex thousands of years ago, where half the world were slaves and where a guy was stoned for picking up sticks and men and woman were killed for adultery and reading omens. It was a time Where a man who cut off 200 foreskins of the inhabitants of his land, to buy his wife(thanks honey, i just knew you loved me) was deemed a good king. Today he would be tried and convicted in a court of human rights! As I can only assume you are a thoughtful person, this would not be era in which you would pick your god of choice.

Also perhaps the word translated as evil, which has taken a life of its own, mean something else without the imbued morality, Like destruction? Life is not a Hollywood movie where the villain is all bad and and the good guy is is just that. For example the Indian culture that worshipped rivers saw the destruction of a flood as part of the creation of life. It was from that sediment deposited by destructive flooding that their grain could be grown and thus life sustained, thus sacred to life?

When fundamentalism based on a choice of god takes root and holds all responsible to the tenets of that particular god, a morality police begins.

4 legs good, two legs bad (one of the commandments from animal farm).

Remember Iran is a theocratic state and it takes the same good/bad approach very seriously, ie beheadings. Just a foregleam for any future theocracy which holds morality in binary suspension.

Slavenomore

• Perry
    Perry

Dewandelaar,

I agree. The implication in Genesis clearly indicates a prior rebellion against God (Good)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit