"The Good Outnumber You and Always Will"

by MrFreeze 5 Replies latest social current

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Saw this great commentary on the events of today by comedian Patton Oswalt. Really kind of puts the whole thing into perspective. From HuffPo: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patton-oswalt/patton-oswalt_b_3088337.html

"Boston. F**king horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, 'Well, I've had it with humanity.'

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem -- one human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in a while, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evildoers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you, and we always will.'"

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

These are great words to remember, when dealing with any JW's who want to point out how bad things are.

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Bumping this becaus I thought it was a great piece.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yes I must remember to say to the next JW I meet "The good outnumber the bad" , I will have to try to resist the follow on:

"Just look at how outnumbered you are !"

• jgnat
    jgnat

Great thought. I'd put it up there with another one of my favorite quotes,

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit