Da Bible. Am I making this up?

by Bob_NC 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

This is what I get from the beginning.

Some high level, supposedly beautiful, angel used his free will to go his own way. We were told to call this one "Satan." Supposedly 1/3 of the un-named angels used their free will and followed Satan. The first 3 humans in the Bible used their free will and went their own way. The 4th human was offering sacrifices that GOD liked and, so, God liked the 4th human. He was killed by the 3rd human. After some many years God spoke and said that he was sick of humans and wished that he had never created them. By then there were thousands of humans. God did not like any of them. God comes up with a new plan. He will drown thousands of humans and millions of animals, all of them, except for just a few samples of each kind. Several times early on it was proclaimed that things created were "good".

What has worked right so far? Am I making this up?
  • sd-7
    sd-7

Well, so far, we know at the very least that women were pretty hot back then. Like, hot enough to draw angels out of heaven. Hot enough that the first man couldn't live without the first woman. So when God said things were good, he'd probably just finished making Eve.

Or, perhaps, I'm just really hormonal right now in the male sort of way.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

Actually, it's more like it was all good until somebody decided to break the rules. And then somebody else, and so on. All things considered, it would've been more efficient to (1) assassinate snake-Satan, (2) memory wipe all created beings that saw you do it, (3) chillax and open a keg of newly created Divine Wine.

--sd-7

• Heaven
    Heaven

Actually, it's more like it was all good until somebody decided to break the rules.

Um, don't think so. Plants cannot survive without sunlight. The design was flawed from the get-go. Da Bible is BS.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

L ight - was before plants -The creation account was not literal.

However - the Laws in the Torah, or first five books of the Bible,

established a basic legal system still in use today.

Things like degrees of liabilty. The idea of social responsibilty.

Animal rights, cruelty to animals was forbidden.

The protection of the most vulnerable in society,

like widows and orphans, laws forbidding taking a widow's land

, just because you could. Laws about sharing with the poor.

Rich land owners were only allowed to harvest the first fruits,

and the rest had to be left for the poor,gleaners. Compared

to other societies who were sacrificing their children in fire,

and eating each other, those with the Bible fared much better.

Washing for instance. There were rules about washing yourself,

and not eating certain animals prone to carry parasites.

Generally raping and pillaging were discouraged.

There were cities of refuge for unitentional manslayers where

they were protected from angry relatives. Incest was forbidden.

Marriage was sacred. Lots we can puzzle over, but lots

of good came out of the Law.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

There was nothing special about the Mosaic Law though, villagegirl -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi

• Heaven
    Heaven

L ight - was before plants

villagegirl, yes, it was. But not the sun, which of course we all know now this Earth would not be alive without, least of all, plants.

Let's review the account documented in Genesis as told to us by Fred Titanich from his "The Atheist's Book of Bible Stories":

"If God exists and he has authored a book, then it should be a pretty good one. There should be no contradictions, errors, or logical flaws; it should be clear, easy to read, consistent, and accessable; and, it goes without saying that it should be morally irreprehensible.

Unfortunately, the book that is purported to be God’s official communication with humans contains all of these flaws, in abundance. And these flaws are in evidence in the opening scene, probably more than any other.

As the Biblical curtain draws open, the scene shows nothing - no physical universe and no heaven. The first article of business is to get this empty space filled. So, God creates these two things. He then goes on to populate the universe with living things, including plants, animals, and humans.

Knowing God, he naturally has to do things the hard way. Consider the order of creation:
    Day 1: created light
    Day 2: created the sky and separate water above and below the sky “firmament”
    Day 3: land and sea separated, plants and trees created
    Day 4: created the sun, moon, and stars, and installed them in the firmament
    Day 5: created aquatic animals and birds
    Day 6: created land animals and humans
    Day 7: day off

That was quite a week. In early times, the Bible was taken at it’s word, meaning that all of this took place in seven literal days. Over time, scientifically astute humans began to realize that not only was this not possible, but there was ample evidence that life and other creations were far older than allowed by the Bible.

So, to fix this problem, enterprising Christians reinterpreted the word “Day” to mean a longer period of time - perhaps a thousand years, or maybe even seven thousand years. Others came to realize that even this interpretation didn’t work, so “Day” began to mean an era or epoch. You will notice throughout the Bible, that whenever it makes a statement that is either impossible or ridiculous, the statement becomes “symbolic”. Clearly, that technique becomes necessary very early in the book. It continues to be essential right up to the last chapter of Revelation.

Now, take a look at the order of creation. Notice that the first thing that God created was light. That was a good idea. Unfortunately, he forgot to create the main light source for the earth - the sun. I assume he used giant heat lamps to make up for the oversight. Also notice that he made plants before he made the sun - mostly frozen vegetables, I suspect."

• mP
    mP

village:

L ight - was before plants -The creation account was not literal.

However - the Laws in the Torah, or first five books of the Bible,

established a basic legal system still in use today.

mP:

Given shariah laws is basically the law of Moses, i would suggest tha tyou goto Iran or Saudi Arabia. If you dont believe me check the 613 miztvot.

No western country uses the law of moses, we dont allow genocide, rape and slavery. I dont know why anybody would be proud of that legacy, i would have thought that just those 3 would be an embarrassment that one would rather forget that continue to mention with pride.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit