JULY 15TH STUDY EDITION :"If ever that evil slave..." page 24

by raymond frantz 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The parable of the Discreet and Evil Slaves is just that a PARABLE , when will folks recognize that ? I have no choice but to put these next few words in Capitals :

IT IS NOT A PROPHECY.

Read it without JW Specs on and you will plainly see, it is a story used as a teaching aid, and ONLY that !

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Vanderhoven7, I agree that according to the NT gospels "Jesus encouraged believers to be ready at all times precisely because the timing of the parousia would be unknown."

You make a good point in regards to that, but interestingly in regards to the flood of Noah's day Genesis 6:3 quotes Yahweh as saying he will limit man's days to 120 years. That verse seems to be saying that Yahweh said to someone (probably Noah) that he will destroy humans (other than those who board the Ark to was to be built) 120 years after the day the pronouncement was made. It seems less likely that means no individual humans of future times would live more than 120 years since the Bible says that a number of Noah's descendants lived much longer than that. But perhaps the account suggests the pronouncement was made at an earlier time (perhaps uttered to Enoch) since Genesis 5:32 says Noah got to be 500 years old before fathering his three sons and Genesis 7:6,11 say Noah was 600 years old when the deluge began - a difference of 100 years between the two incidents and thus less than 120 years.

Regarding Enoch see Genesis 5:24 which suggests that Enoch was very holy, Jude 14-15, and in the Bible translated by Goodspeed and Smith see the NT Preface and see 1 Peter 3:19-20 which both state the name Enoch (instead of using the word "he"); see also also Moffatt's Bible in regards to the mention of Enoch in 1 Peter 3:19.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The reason why I brought up timing in regards to the flood of Noah's day is because the Bible records Jesus saying the coming of the Son of Man would come unexpectedly like the flood of Noah's day, yet Genesis specifically mentions 120 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit