Armageddon Diaries

by Teeny Pyjamas 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Teeny Pyjamas
    Teeny Pyjamas

Hi guys and gals!

I want to write a sequel (or a prequel) for the Armageddon Diaries short story - http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/diary-of-an-armageddon-survivor/

Do any of you have any good ideas for a synopsis? I thought about creating a series in blog form on JWB which would see a new episode published every week over ten weeks. What do you guys think?

Let me know if you'd be interested in reading a blog series about this topic. Also, if you have any ideas on how to freshen it up, let me know too.

Regards,
    Jaymes

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Interesting version.

I prefer this one personally.

http://www.1timothy4-13.com/files/bible/diary.html

Strange, I was just thinking of this story, only this afternoon. Good read for those who dont know it yet.

• MTSman
    MTSman

I take it that this is satire? If so, you wrote it pretty good. If you were writing a serious piece, well it was still funny.-MTS man

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I like the stories as far as they go but I think the practicalities of living in a world that has been through Armageddon as the JWs understand it is gives more scope for laying nuggets of doubt in peoples' minds.

For example, you could pick pretty much any image of life in paradise and examine how aspects of the image would actually be delivered. There is one in a current mag or publication showing people surfing, another showing ones with construction hats, most show people wearing nicely turned out and tailored clothes.

All of this intimates an element of technology - e.g. manufacture of plastics. How the hell do you do that without the ability to extract and process oil?

All the things we take for granted in terms of power generation and supply, transport, communications, food production, water supply, waste disposal etc. etc. all require a technological, engineering and scientific infrastructure that has taken the world's population 250 years to bring together. It's easy to say that we could use solar power but modern, energy efficient PV panels require a vast infrastructure to manufacture, let alone any kind of assumption that "new scrolls" and "perfect minds" would lead to the development of even more efficient technologies.

If all the engineers looking after power plants, hydro-electric dams, communications networks, server farms/data centres and so on were to be wiped out over night how are a bunch of window cleaners meant to even gain access to sites let alone run them so they don't fail? I'd hate to think of a nuclear power plant running without anyone to monitor it - how long before a meltdown?

What's worse is that people think the society is building for the new world by training people to build halls quickly. Not only would I not want a new house that looks like a KH design, I would also hope there were a bunch of people being trained to keep the essential services running.

Of course it's all bollocks but I accepted that Jehovah would just "make it happen" for years and I am not alone. Stories about the elders turning into Animal Farm are great but if you were going to update them then I would consider thinking about the implications of either trying to run the vast amounts of technology required to maintain modern living standards or what would happen if it all went backwards overnight. Either way it doesn't make a lot of sense...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Its an interesting premise, but it seemas to move alng a bit quickly, it reads a bit like a synopsis. A short story doesnt usually attempt to tackle that much storyline. I would like to see this fleshed out and become a novella, at the least. I would then have the protagonist live through the stoning to see what happens, do the Dubs and the others fight each ther for domination of the earth? Or do the dubs implode because of internal issues.? Then you could add in some interesting details, like how do they handle the lack of toilets? Outhouses?

I hope you keep writing, it would be ting to see what you come up with. Dont mind those who just want to critisize.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit