Of Jailing Americans, the Criminalization of Poverty,Traffic Tickets, Medical bills and Court fees.

by Scott77 7 Replies latest forum announcements

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...Rather, they reflect a justice system that in effect criminalizes poverty. "It's a growing problem nationally, particularly because of the economic crisis," said Inimai Chettiar, director of the justice program at New York University School of Law's Brennan Center for Justice..."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_162-57577994/as-economy-flails-debtors-prisons-thrive/

I thought of this one with regard to the Watchtower andhow it indirectly encourages poverty amoung Jehovah's Witnesses. Then now, look! thousands of Americans aebeing jailed for failure to pay medical bills and other. Of course, no Jehovah's witnesses or Watchtower is mentioned in this cbs article but we can a generalization for a reason.

Scott77

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

I read about the harsh treatment of a particular religious sect the Armish today who were severly repremanded for disiplining their own over matters regarding thier own berliefs....

• Mum
    Mum

When I was young, one could be arrested for vagrancy, but I think that is no longer the case.

We who have a support system and/or a caring family forget how lucky we are. Most Americans are a paycheck or two away from the street.

• wasblind
    wasblind

People are more likely to get into debt than commit murder, so that's

Good news for private prisons which profit off of people bein' locked up

after all it's cheap labor

Jehovah's witnesses are encouraged to put secular work in the background

while they labor for the WTS at a personal cost to themselves

And yet at every three day convention they swipe credit cards Matrix style

Keanue Reeves ain't got a thing on a Jehovah's Witness wit a credit card

• david_10
    david_10

When the courts have levied a fine against someone, it means that that person has had a brush with the law. In lieu of jail time, that person can pay his fine. If he doesn't, then he can sit it out in jail..................that's the way it's always been. OK, I understand that.

But to put someone in jail because he stopped paying on his credit cards or medical bills????

It has always been my belief that this a civil matter and to put someone in jail for it is totally, absolutely, beyond-any-doubt illegal and can't be done. Has that changed? I don't think it has. If it has, then when did it change?

David

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

very interesting article, alarming trend. Thanks for sharing!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Not true. Bankruptcy and federal and state programs to rebuild credit not true as reported

Attend staff meeting concerning vaguely related issue. n

• Scott77
    Scott77

Jehovah's witnesses are encouraged to put secular work in the background while they labor for the WTS at a personal cost to themselves

wasblind

I thought about that comment from your side above. A personal cost may include loss of one's life through a refusal of blood transfusion. Hi Hortensia, its my pleasure to share and will continue always. I am unsure what BOTR is saying. May be a part of her message did not go through to the post.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit