WTBTS: Hermeneutics

by cha ching 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cha ching
    cha ching

Where did the Pharisees come from?

h ttp://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/455129/Pharisee

ThePharisees emerged as a distinct group shortly after the Maccabaean revolt, around 165–160 bc as a party of laymen and scribes in contradistinction to the:

['ma??ti?n 'ha?d?g?] ; September 26, 1889 – May 26, 1976) was a German philosopher known for his existential and phenomenological explorations of the "question of Being ". [4]

So, here we go:

Pharisee, harmonizes his teachings to fit their own ideas.

They used "hermeneutics."

That's like the existentialist: Heidegger...

1874 didn't work... oh, that was his invisible presence... Let's make 1914 Armageddon now.

That didn't work, let's make 1914 his invisible presence...

Woe! let's make a generation that has to be 15 years of age in 1914 to be a part of the whole thing...

Wait! Now they just have to be born in 1914!

Ohhh! we get it now..... It's OVERLAPPING generations....

Do you wonder why you feel like the WTBS is a bunch of Pharisees?

progressive tendency

Past truth... present truth... brighter truth

".....

they gave it a new and more acceptable meaning, seeking scriptural support for their actions through a ramified system of

hermeneutics"!!!!

Sadducees

i.e., the party of the high priesthood that had traditionally provided the sole leadership of the Jewish people.

broadly, is the art of text interpretation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics

• cha ching
    cha ching

oops, sorry, I guess I can't copy/ paste from my notepad.

I'll try again:

Where did the Pharisees come from? http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/455129/Pharisee

The Pharisees emerged as a distinct group... around 165 - 160 BC... a party of laymen and scribes in contradistinction to the:

The Sadducces, the party of the high priesthood.... they refused to accept any precept as binding unless it was based directly on the Tora, i.e., the Written Law

The Pharisees, on the other hand, believedthat the Law that God gave to Moses was twofold., consisting of the writtenLaw, and the Oral Law, i.e. the teachings of hte prophets and the oraltraditions of the Jewish people.

Pharisees harmonized the teachings of the Torah with their own ideas or found their own ideas suggessted or impled in it.

They interpreted the Law according to it's spirit; when in the course of time a law had been outgrown, or superseded by changing conditions, they gave it a new and more acceptable meaning, seeking scriptural support for their actions through a ramified system of hermeneutics.

It was due to this progressive tendency of the Pharisees that their interpretation of the torah continued to develop, and has remained a living force in Judaism.

Hermeneutics: broadly, is the art of text interpretation (wikipedia)

Who is associated dwith Hermeneutics? Martin Heidegger, a German philosopher, known for his existential thinking.

So, here we go:

Pharisee: harmonizes his teachings to fit their own ideas.

They used "hermeneutics"

That's like the existentialist: Heidegger

1874 wasn't Armageddon, that didn't work... oh, that was his "invisible presence"

Let's make 1914 Armageddon now.

That didn't work out, let's make 1914 his "invisible presence"

Woe! let's make a generation that has to 15 years of age in 1914 to be a part of the whole thing...

Wait! Now they just have to be born in 1914!

Ohhh!!! We get it now!... It's OVERLAPPING generations...

Do you wonder why you feel like the WTBTS is a bunch of Pharisees?

"Progressige Tendency" Past truth present truth brighter light..

"They gave it a new and more acceptable meaning, seeking scriptural support for their actions thru a ramified system of hermeneutics"

(Whew! had to re-type the whole thing! If anyone can delete my post above... please do, thx)

• cha ching
    cha ching

Does this remind you of the GB?

The folk etymology places the origin (Greek: hermeneutike) with Hermes , the mythological Greek deity whose role is that of messenger of the Gods. [3]

Besides being mediator between the gods themselves, and between the gods and humanity, he leads souls to the underworld upon death.

He is also considered the inventor of language and speech, an interpreter, a liar, a thief and a trickster. [3] These multiple roles make Hermes an ideal representative figure for hermeneutics.

• belongingtojah
    belongingtojah

Cha Ching,

I'm thinking you nailed it very well.

The Pharisees certainly set the example of making their teachings in line with their traditions.

It seems to me that every large orgainized group in Christendom has done that very thing.

The watchtower oraganization is no exception even though they do have many correct bible teachings - I guess that is the carrot on the end of the stick to get people to join in.

However when Jehovah opens our eyes to the inconsistensy's and outright false teachings then it becomes our personal decision as what ot do.

belongingtojh

• *lost*
    *lost*

Excellent.

The dots are joining and the 'truth' is becoming clearer.

Getting brighter, new light, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit