AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I was not added on FB and I have no idea whether the involuntary adds were the fault of AAWA, people unrelated to AAWA, Facebook, or some combination of these. However, I think it is wrong to dismiss the potential harm done to those who may have been involuntarily "outed," or shift all of the blame to the organization that forces such secrecy in the first place.

First of all, I know of a number of people who have never been involved in the cult, who if they joined a Facebook group with "Anti-Catholic" or "Anti-Pope" or whatever in the name, it would cause significant family tension. I know "Anti-Watchtower" is not the same as "Anti-JW" but we all know that most on the inside would view it as the same. Secondly, people have all sorts of good reasons not to DA or openly oppose the organization, from family relations to inheritances and financial support to trying to wake up or help others out from within. I imagine AAWA would be sensitive to this, considering that the president only identifies with a pseudonym, and presumably would not be happy about it if someone posted his real name as the President of AAWA.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Fizzywiglet, do you feel that your concerns have been heard? What is missing?

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Well, maybe some action is missing? Is it still possible for group members to add new ones, or has that possibility been blocked? That would be the first step in taking action.

Has those members that added douzens/hundreds of new members been "DF'ed" from the group?

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

OK! There was appearantly a bogus group with the same AAWA-name on facebook. This can explain all this confusion. Have a look at "outlaws" thread.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Sabastious - Unfortunately, this will never happen. The Watchtower operates on the logic that no external entity, incorporated or not, has the right to alter the inner workings or functionality of a corporate entity.

It has already happened. The work of people like Barbara Anderson and victims that sue the religion has led to ongoing changes to the process for child abuse. Without these people, the 2 witness rule would still relate to a single event.

The Watchtower will either fall or change, it cannot continue throughout this century as it is for many reasons. A concerted effort at education will speed up this process.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

actually the AAWA can name themselves whatever they want to... when you create your own association you can name it whatever you want :-)

• extractor
    extractor

Sabastious - Unfortunately, this will never happen. The Watchtower operates on the logic that no external entity, incorporated or not, has the right to alter the inner workings or functionality of a corporate entity.

It has already happened. The work of people like Barbara Anderson and victims that sue the religion has led to ongoing changes to the process for child abuse. Without these people, the 2 witness rule would still relate to a single event.

The Watchtower will either fall or change, it cannot continue throughout this century as it is for many reasons. A concerted effort at education will speed up this process.

------------------------

True. Like any living entity the WT only basically wants one thing... to survive. It has no moral principles to live by so whatever it needs to do to survive, it will do; be that control people, ruin families, kill children, or even change it's own policies. Example: for some stupid reason it thought joining the UN would help it survive even though that meant contradicting everything they "believed" in. If the public begins to view it as a vicious cult that destroys families then no one will join it. Exposing this cult might not get current JWs to leave, but can prevent new ones from joining. "An ounce of prevention."

Go AAWA!

• Twitch
    Twitch

I applaud the effort!

The video was well done in terms of intent and message.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

JWFacts

Second, AAWA's key objectives are not to reform the Watchtower. They are:

I was referring to this on http://jwactivists.org/who-are-we/

However, in order to drive its message home more effectively and forcefully, AAWA chooses to focus on five key areas in which the Society must introduce urgent reforms. These are (in no particular order):

1. The shunning of relatives
    2. The mishandling of cases of child abuse
    3. The mishandling of cases of domestic abuse
    4. The stigmatization of higher education
    5. The ban on certain forms of treatment with blood

AAWA extends an open offer to the Governing Body of the Watch Tower Society (or their representatives) to meet with AAWA to discuss ways in which the organization can introduce much-needed reforms concerning the above core issues.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Reform or whither on the vine, I would say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit