AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• rebel8
    rebel8

One request--it's not nice to add your Facebook friends to groups without their permission. I got added and outed.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

hmmmm...after thinking this over I tend to agree that I like the mission statement but can see how some may be initially turned off by the name with "anti" in it when you think of "anti-Christ" etc.

To me a name with the same acronym but different words could draw even more to the cause.

Such as AAWA (Association Against Watchtower Abuse).

No one likes to hear of someone being abused in any way shape or form. Generally I've found that the word abuse grabs attention because others want to see why/how someone is experiencing abuse. Whether it be wife abuse,child abuse,drug abuse etc. it can make others take notice and want to see how another is being unfairly treated by some.

But that being said, I have to say the video in and of itself was superbly done IMO and have already been showing it to many family members and friends as well as put a link to it on a couple websites I frequent.

Keep up the good work and engaging in the fine fight to liberate and free the minds of many others.

StoneWall

• DT
    DT

I think the name is good. It is a little bit provocative and may capture the attention of the media in situations where a more subdued name would just be ignored.

I think it may require some explaining, but it is better to have to explain the goals of the association than to have it overlooked.

I definitely the Watchtower Corporation is evil enough to deserve an anti group.

I do think the name could be a liability for some forms of activism, but this association doesn't have to tackle everything. There is plenty of room for other groups to form with slightly different goals that could adopt more friendly names.

Although I also like Stonewall's suggestion of "Association Against Watchtower Abuse".

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

I don't want to be negative. But I agree the name could have a negative conotation .

Its needs to draw people .

I like the above idea "Association Against Watchtower Abuse"

It puts the negative toward where it belongs .

After all it is about marketing . In order to stir up interest .Maybe "Association of Watchtower Survivors" "Jehovah's Witnesses Survivors Association"

The name means allot . IMHO

• The Quiet One
  • dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

This is a beautiful thing, brought tears to my eyes

Well Done!

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I've sent in my volunteer form and I've made my comments there regarding the name, but I"ve been thinking about this and a few things have come to mind. I don't like the name. I think it unfortunately personifies everything exiting JWs have been taught to fear about apostates. It's angry. To me, the question is: who are you trying to reach with your organization and what is its core purpose? If you are trying to make it clear that you are apostates who want to bring the Watchtower down, the name is perfect.

But that's not what the mission statement says. So if you are reaching out to vulnerable ex-JWs or those who are having doubts, a name that better reflects that would be more effective. I like both "Association Against Watchtower Abuse" and "Association of Watchtower Survivors" as they speak to that target audience.

I think it's important to keep in mind that many, many people leave JWs not because of apostasy or because they've discovered TTATT. They need a kind, gentle helping hand, not one that bombards them with anti-Watchtower messages. I didn't come to this forum until almost 5 years after I left, and I was deeply offended by the activists. I didn't truly get TTATT until I had been here for a while. But I sure could have used the support long before that - it was simply too deeply ingrained in me to hate apostates.

I'd suggest not looking at the matter from the perspective we now have as enlightened people who know the truth, but from the perspective of those who are still really struggling and may not have things clear yet. And as Blindersoff says, the name means a lot.

• Dagney
    Dagney

One request--it's not nice to add your Facebook friends to groups without their permission. I got added and outed.

What rebel said.

A friend of mine was added also without her knowledge and she was not happy. I am all for this movement. But I cannot "Like" it either on my FB because of the name. I have people half in and half out, some out with relatives in...they do not want to see that on their feed when they are checking on their friends and family.

• Quendi
    Quendi

bookmarked

• yesidid
    yesidid

I think the whole concept is a great and deserves our support.

However I also have serious reservations about the name.

Stonewall's suggestion ( "Association Against Watchtower Abuse") is much less confrontational and would be more effective IMHO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit