Another guilt trip attempt

by fade_away 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• fade_away
    fade_away

Hey guys, sorry I haven't written in so long. Most of you won't remember me but I have been more active on an ex-JW facebook page than I have been here.

My mother just tried to put me through another guilt trip (yeah those are great). She asked if I went to the memorial and I said no. She thinks I've been going to them despite the fact I no longer attend meetings. I don't like to do things half-ass and attend some of their rituals and not others. I'm either in or I'm out so no, I did not go just like I didn't go last year or the year before. Of course she took it kind of hard when I said I didn't attend. Then she proceeds to tell me that someone on my wife's old facebook profile (that she hasn't used in over a year), saw pictures of her birthday party some of our "worldly" friends threw for her.

So basically, JWs are still spying on our old FB accounts to see what pictures we get tagged on and report anything they see that goes against their doctrines. I didn't confirm the party but I didn't deny it either. We did have a birthday party and it was so much fun! We had a blast. I told my mom "You want us to go back, but to what? To those so-called 'friends' that spy on our every move and run to the elders the first chance they get? To the people that generate so much damn drama?" ... No thanks.

I deleted my old FB profile and my wife's old profile. I confronted my mom about the birthday thing too. I asked her where in the Bible does it say birthdays are wrong. She said "didn't you learn anything while you were in?" I said I learned that there are two Bible stories that mention tragedies happening at birthdays but nothing in there that indicates the birthday itself was wrong....only what happened at the birthday. So if somebody gets killed at a wedding, should we not celebrate weddings from that moment on? How does one make the connection that God disapproves of birthdays because someone died at one thousands of years ago. How and why does God blame the birthday party for what happened? Birthdays being a sin is not in the Bible, it is an add-on by the Watchtower.

I brought up how pagan wedding bands and veils are yet there is no problem there. But she said weddings are ok because Jesus attended some and nobody died. I mean really? So it takes a death to make it wrong? Well it looks like by attending a wedding, Jesus attended a pagan ritual and because nobody died, then it's ok. I guess somebody must have died during Christmas and Halloween too because they are just as bad to them. I called them out on their hypocrisy and I may have started the beginning of my disfellowshipping. She said I need to talk to my dad because he is an elder and can answer my questions. Then she started the tears and the guilt trip about my dead brother who I won't see in the new world and how the governing body is warning that we are closer to the end than ever and all that crap.

My parents don't know I'm an atheist but if they keep pushing the subject, I will tell them that all their arguments are invalid since I not only disbelieve the Watchtower to be the mouth of God, I also disbelieve in God himself. "Where will we turn to?" That's what she keeps asking over and over. Brainwashed into believing life is worthless, meaningless and pointless without the WT. I feel sorry for her for not being able to see the beauty in life without religion. My marriage is much stronger and happier than some JW couples I know and it shows what BS that threefold cord theory is. Also, I have friends now that don't care what I believe or don't believe and do not cause any drama whatsoever. I just told her that I am living proof that happiness and fulfillment can be achieved without religion. I haven't heard the end of this I'm sure.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Hang in there. I feel as you do. Just not brave enough to say it to family yet. Still early for me.

• clarity
    clarity

Didn't know there were exfacebook pages .... how would I find them,

google? Nice to see yu again ...take care & hang in there!

• whathappened
    whathappened

Sorry to hear your mother is so broken hearted and is giving you a hard time. She is just brainwashed into this cult, she loves you and means no harm. She actually believes what she is hearing from the governing body. It is a shame.

• fade_away
    fade_away

Yeah clarity, there are ex jehovah's witnesses facebook pages. Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/xjwrg3/

Ex-Jehovah's Witness Recovery is an awesome page. They meet up every July 4th in Pennsylvania in an annual BBQ.

• zeb
    zeb

Its tragic when parents pull the guilt trip thing for whatever reason.

• Adiva
    Adiva

Hi Clarity.

Once you start looking for exjw pages on facebook, you'll find a whole bunch of 'em. Enjoy!

Adiva

• haboob48
    haboob48

I have to agree with fade-away, the facebook recovery group is excellent!

hb48

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit