Need Help

by writerpen 5 Replies latest jw friends

• writerpen
    writerpen

I was baptized in 1988. I'm trying to find the questions that were asked just prior to baptism that all the candidates said "yes" to. According to the WT cd of 1997, that info is in the OM book which is not on the cd - I threw mine away some months ago. Anyone have this info? I'm curious to know if witness baptisms are done in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, or does that only apply to the anointed. Why am I under the impression that a witness baptism is not the same as other religions - ie. as a member of great crowd, one is not considered a child of God - only the anointed, whereas baptisms in other religions symbolize a person being accepted as a child of God.

Thanks for you help.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Writerpen: The June 1, 1985 Watchtower, p. 31 states them:

"1. On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?"

"2. Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?"

These are found in the article "Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication", page 29-31. The article expands on the official policy and implication of these questions.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• avengers
    avengers

Amazing, You never cease to amze me.

• mouthy
    mouthy

The reason they changed it to Spirit filled ORGANIZATION is because they were getting sued-The folks that got baptized into the FATHER,SON,& HOLY SPIRIT were winning the suits.So now you cant sue because you knew when you went into the BORG what they required of you. so no dice for suing......Your baptized into a cult

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Here's the old questions so you can compare between them.

Baptized in the name of Jehovah, Jesus & Holy Spirit.

*** w58 8/1 478 Baptism ***
    22 It is essential that with the mouth a public declaration of faith be made. Two
    questions are therefore asked the candidates:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

23 Everyone who can answer “Yes” to these questions is eligible for baptism and should take this step without hesitation or delay.

Ranchette

• TheStar
    TheStar

I was never told these were the questions that would be asked of me just minutes before baptism. Can I sue?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit