Leading Christian Apologist Dinesh D'Souza: Scandal of hypocrisy

by Terry 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Why the Dinesh D'Souza Scandal Hit Home

OCT 23 2012 There's more at stake in our leaders' failings than we think. Karen Swallow Prior READ AS SINGLE PAGE

A classic case of shooting the messenger emerged last week surrounding the revelation of an extramarital relationship of Dinesh D'Souza, one of today's foremost Christian apologists and conservative thinkers. Blaming the messenger goes back at least as far as Sophocles' ancient Greek tragedy, Antigone . A guard has to bring King Creon the bad news that one of his orders has been violated. The guard delivers the news after drawing the losing lot, and does so in fear and trembling, knowing full well, he tells Creon, that "no man delights in the bearer of bad news." In the play, the life of the guard is spared. But not all bearers of unwelcome news are so lucky.

World magazine reported October 16 that the married-but-separated D'Souza had, during an apologetics conference, introduced as his fiancée a female traveling companion. (Denise Odie Joseph is also allegedly married—and younger to an uncomfortable degree—as well as an outspoken, if lesser known, advocate of conservativism.) D'Souza responded the next day by denying marital infidelity in an exclusive interview with Christianity Today . He also published a statement at Fox News that, first, took issue with some of the facts and then turned the tables on World . D'Souza accused the magazine of reporting the story as part of a longtime personal and professional "grievance" and "vendetta" against him, and characterized the article as "viciousness masquerading as righteousness." (Perhaps not coincidentally, shooting the messenger seems to be the same tactic employed in D'Souza's most recent work, the documentary film 2016 . Based on his earlier book, the filmattempts to advance conservative principles by discreditingone of the conservative movement's leading opponents.)

D'Souza concludes his response to the World story bysaying, "Ultimately this is not just about [ World editor] Olasky or even World magazine. It is also about how we Christians are supposed to behave with one another. And the secular world is watching."

On this count, D'Souza is right. However, the secular world is not concerned, as D'Souza claims, with the question, "Is this how [Christians] love and treat fellow believers?" No, the secular world is frothing at the mouth at having yet one more example of hypocrisy from within the traditional marriage/family values crowd. For just one prominent fallen Christian can make secularism's point far more effectively than can all the arguments of the New Atheists and marriage equality activists combined.

• maisha
    maisha

ALL RELIGION IS FALSE.. LIES taught to control you and your money!

• Terry
    Terry

Lately, I've been focusing on the distinction and the difference between Religious HOPE and religious FAITH. Religious HOPE is a positive mental outlook that says "I prefer to think the good things I believe in will happen--but--I realize they may not. I'll keep moving ahead." On the other hand: Religious FAITH is a positive mental outlook that says "I prefer to think the good things I believe in will happen--but--I refuse to accept the possibility they will not. I am convinced." Denial of reality cuts us off from practical solutions to real problems. The less practical we are about real world difficulty the less able we are to be happy. Hypocrisy in believers is really a practical problem. What they have FAITH in does not solve their human needs. So, without a genuine solution they seek solace in sin. Sin is merely a very illogical and irrational substitute for a practical and beneficial solution to a human problem. The more rational we become the more we are able to try to align thinking, behavior and everyday life with actions that IMPROVE our life in the long run. Hope can be beneficial but FAITH destroys our warning system and replaces it with fantasy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit