Transcript of Rutherford et al vs United States (appeal) 1919

by MrMonroe 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Jim Penton's book Apocalypse Delayed has an intriguing reference at pg. 323 to testimony JF Rutherford gave in 1918 (though he may have erred there with regard to the date).

He wrote that the Proclaimers book contained a number of "outright falsehoods that have become part of Watch Tower mythology. It argues, as have many Watch Tower publications in the past, that the reason JF Rutherford drove four Watch Tower Society directors from office in July 1917 is that they opposed the publication of the book The Finished Mystery, which he had personally authorised. In fact this is an outright lie, as is clearly shown by Rutherford's own statements made in court under oath in 1918."

His footnote at that point cites Rutherford et al. v. The United States, Transcript of Record, 1: 981-2 at 2943-5.

The appeal of Rutherford et al vs the United States was, I think, 1919, not 1918, but there seems to be nothing online that contains a copy of that transcript, even just those two pages Penton cites.

Penton doesn't elaborate on what it was Rutherford did say there in the appeal. My guess is that Rutherford in court confirmed that the opposing directors who he had in 1917 removed from office were not even aware the book was being prepared, so therefore could not have opposed it.

Does anyone have a scan of that part of the transcript?

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

"When Karl and I read Rutherford’s words in the transcript of record, Rutherford et al.v. United States,..." -- Maybe ask Barbara? http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/barbara-anderson.html

• zeb
    zeb

Bought the book. Excellent read so far.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Not sure if this is what you are after but I have a 155mb pdf titled 1918_Rutherford_vs_the_United_States_Trial.pdf

Here's one google search result for that file: http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm#trials

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Witness My Fury, your link was exactly what I was after.

It's a trivial point to anyone not interested in the rich history of the WTS around the time of Russell's death, but actually quite important in underlining the level of deceit and manipulation Rutherford used to seize and maintain control of the society despite the wishes of the majority of the board of directors -- in effect, the governing body. The issue here is whether the four directors who were getting fed up with Rutherford opposed the publication of The Finished Mystery, as the Proclaimers book states. Rutherford in this court case explains how no one outside the executive committee, in fact, knew of its publication.

From that transcript (pg 981):

(During direct examination of Rutherford)

Q: And I think he said something as to the purpose in concealing the fact that the seventh volume of The Finished Mystery was going to be published. What is the fact in reference to that?

A: No purpose in the world to conceal the fact that it was going to be published. The reason of it was this. We had considerable difficulty at that time in our society.

Q: Was that difficulty over The Finished Mystery?

A: It was not. Did not include The Finished Mystery in the slightest.

Q: The Finished Mystery at that time had not become the subject of any discussion among any of the members?

A: No sir, had not discussed it with a single person in the society at the time this trouble started.

On pg 982 he explains the lengths he went to to ensure all members of the society received the book in the mail the same day.

On page 1037:

"The four mentioned here had been disgruntled about other matters, they had nothing with reference to the seventh volume. The matter was never intimated."

(He then explains from p. 1038 how the four "disgruntled" directors had tied up society funds, insisting they have approval over disbursements. When a $5000 cheque was received from a Mr Butterfield for the publication of the book, Rutherford banked it in his own account rather than the society's, to ensure the directors could not stop the publication of the book.)

What's clear from Rutherford's testimony is that the four opposing directors -- a majority of the board of directors -- were apparently unaware of the impending publication of the book. Hence the WTS glee that its release on July 17 was a "bombshell". Hence not only is the Proclaimers statement clearly a lie, but Rutherford patently defied the wishes of the governing body as it was then, pushing ahead with his own agenda, fuelled by ego, vanity and a naked belief that he was God's chosen man.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Marked for download later

George

• dozy
    dozy

Thanks for the research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit