Strange times on the ministry

by sleepy 4 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Here are a couple of experiences I had while on the ministry.

One day we were working one of those inter city streets in Britain that contain enormous Victorian houses long since unaffordable and to big for people to live in nowadays, which are divided up into as many flats as the landlord can imagine possible.
    Usually you find the outcasts of humanity lurking their. Which always made them more exciting to do than suburban boring normality.
    I rang the bell on one of these houses and offered the mags to a young man in his twenties. Now this is a while ago so I can’t remember exact details.
    Anyway he tells me he is having trouble with voices .Voices in his head , which he believes to be demons , that are telling him what to do. Now as a well educated witness ( basically I didn’t know what to say) I decline to discuss the issue there and arrange to call back in a few days with a brochure dealing with the issue.
    I don’t really give the call another thought as it is not uncommon to meet people like that in this area.

A few days latter I get a call from an Elder. He wants to know whether I’ve had any strange calls on the ministry lately. I cant think of any. He persists and says he’s sure it someone I called on as the brother working with me has told him about this call.
    Why the concern from the elder?
    Because just a few minutes earlier a film crew from the local news station has turned up on his door step , with film cameras running ,asking why we are trying to expel demons from mentally ill people. The film they got was on the local news that night.

Apparently this man got it into his head that we were coming back to expel demons from him. The house was actually a home for the mentally ill and usually a carer should have answered the door.
    He told his carer that me and my partner were coming back to rid him of demons, she phoned the news company , which then looked in the phone book for the address of the witnesses, and got this elders address and subsequently turned up on his door.
    Because of all this we get banded by the Charity “Mind” from calling on any of its houses in my town.

Good thing I didn’t do my return visits very often.

Well one time I did do a return visit and started a bible study with a man in his sixties in the same street as the last incident.
    The study is going ok, but he starts telling over the weeks of me strange things.
    Apparently some time ago (In the 60’s or 70’s) he started seeing images of a little boy.
    He told me that this boy sometimes walks down the street with him and talks to him.
    Ok this is mad I think , this guy has a spanner or two loose.
    For years he has seen this boy but doesn’t know why. Now this “boy” has told him his name.

But it gets madder, he shows me an old newspaper cutting a few years ago. The newspaper cutting is about a boy who disappeared many years ago ,at around the same time as this man started seeing his vision , the article gives his name which is the same as the boy in his visions but not a picture .
    The man decides to get in contact with the family of the missing boy.
    When he gets in contact he describes the “boy“ he sees in his visions to them, and they say it matches their son.

The family believe him and also believe he is in contact with their dead son, and he meets with them regularly to talk about their son.
    He points out that this boy is now sitting on the chair opposite me.
    I leave , quickly.

Do you remember any strange experiences?

• anglise
    anglise

Hi sleepy
    thats weird.
    The only things I can think of at the moment are the number of times I dreaded being offered a cup of tea as the people that tended to invite us in often had rather peculiar standards of cleanliness.
    I can remember picking dogs hairs off my cup etc yuck.
    Still at least they where being truly hospitable maybe more so than most of the dubs.

• sleepy
    sleepy

This might sound crazy but a thought struck me when I was writing the above story , which I have been thinking about today.
    Did the man who claimed to see this boy have anything to do with his disappearence?
    I would feel a bit foolish taking this to the police , and it is a least 5 or 6 years sinse I last saw him.I don't even know the dead boys name.It could be that he read about this boy years earlier in a newspaper and was just mad in the head.
    But at the time I thought it was the demons, now I don't believe in all that, unless he is lying or delusional , how would he know about this dead child?
    Anyone know whether It is a known occurence that psychotic murderers try to get back in with the murdered childs family, and claim to have visions of the child.
    I am serious by the way, this was a very strange and troubled man.
    Any thoughts?

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

Interesting thought, Sleepy.

Chances are that he had actually read about the boy and for some reason latched onto the idea... which wouldn't be too far fetched if he is abit crazy.

If you think it is worth pursuing, then go for it. The first thought that struck me though was that say if you were able to get enough info about the boy and took it to the police, with it being so long ago since the boys death, the crazy chap could hardly come up with an alibi and if he is a bit of a fruitloop, he could make an easy suspect as far as the police are concerned.

If he had something to do with it, then fair enough, but if he didn't, he could quite easily find himself up the creek without a paddle.

We all make a mess of our lives from time to time
    It's part of the process that you stumble as you climb

• Tammie
    Tammie

The strangest thing that happened to me was after one of my bible studies. At the time I was a pioneer and single. This lady starts talking about dreams she has had in the past and how they always came true. She told me that I would get married and have one child. I thought this is weird, and that was the last time I ever studied with her. (That was not the reason why I stopped the study.) Right after I left her house, I prayed to God and asked him that if I do ever have a child, please allow me to have at least two. I have never like the idea of some one telling me of my future. Any way about 5 years later I did get married. Some time after I was married, my husband told me some thing his grand mother told him. (who was also in to fortune telling and very good at it) She told him that he would only have one child also- a son. So he said that was it, that was all we was going to have. But I had remember what I had prayed for. To make a long story short, a little over a year after I had my first child I got pregnate again. Talking about the floored look on my husband's face. He was very pissed also. He had tried to get me to abort my child, but I was determand to never do that. My children are now 4 and 6 years old, both boys. I do hope to one day have a daughter. And guess who my husband's favorate child is? You guess it, the one he did not want to keep. He could not picture his life now with out either of his sons. I do get a thank you from him every so often that I did not abort the baby. And an apoligy from him, at the same time for putting up with him being a jerk (his words) then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit