Did Jesus had a passover meal AND then a wine/bread meal?

by pixel 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pixel
    pixel

Why the Witnesses separate these two event?

• sir82
    sir82

Because it's the only way they can get Judas Iscariot there to eat the passover, but not there to eat the "Lord's evening meal".

• Glander
    Glander

Without re-reading the account it is my recollection that they had had the passover meal and then Jesus introduced the "my flesh, my blood" ceremony.

I don't recall that DaVinci or other artists ever portrayed the table with Passover meal remains.

• pixel
    pixel

Maybe Da Vinci could had painted two meals??

• Glander
    Glander

Well, shut my mouth :

• pixel
    pixel

Well...

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

You bring up a good question.

Matt 26:21: "While they were eating, he said: “Truly I say to YOU, One of YOU will betray me.” 22?Being very much grieved at this, they commenced each and every one to say to him: “Lord, it is not I, is it?” 23?In reply he said: “He that dips his hand with me in the bowl is the one that will betray me. 24?True, the Son of man is going away, just as it is written concerning him, but woe to that man through whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been finer for him if that man had not been born.” 25?By way of reply Judas, who was about to betray him, said: “It is not I, is it, Rabbi?” He said to him: “You yourself said [it].”
    26?As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf and, after saying a blessing, he broke it and, giving it to the disciples, he said: “TAKE, eat. This means my body.”

Mark 14:22: "And as they continued eating, he took a loaf, said a blessing, broke it and gave it to them, and said: “Take it, this means my body."

They were celebrating the Passover. That much the scriptures make clear. Was it two meals? No, not two separate meals. However, the Passover portion was given priority in following the Law. It was only after the Law was satisfied did the next portion continue. Remember, the bread could not be left over until morning, per the Law, so either it all had to be eaten, or whatever was left was to be burned with fire. Once the Law was satisfied, the new covenant was instituted.

Whether Judas was excused after the Law was satisfied (the Passover portion only) or after the new covenant was instituted is hotly debated. It's not a JW-only teaching that Judas was excused before the new covenant was instituted. The sad fact is that the writings we have in the four accounts do not coincide with each other completely enough to resolve this issue.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ Leaving Quietly

I adhere to Luke's account in chapter 22. He's the only Gospel writer who mentions both the New Covenant & the Covenant for a Kingdom, thereby reflecting Moses being used to mediate the Law Covenant with everyone in the newly formed nation (aliens included) as well as establishing a priesthood for that new nation. Moses validated the Law Covenant with blood sacrifices, but not the priesthood arrangement.

Likewise, Jesus validated the New Covenant with his blood, and commanded his disciples to use symbols of bread & wine in commemoration. He did not use any symbols for the priesthood Covenant, (Moses didn't either) neither did he command that it should be commemorated!

Whether Judas did or didn't partake of the emblems is ultimately a moot point - the fact remains that all Christians were expected to commemorate this event and partake of the bread and wine as stipulated. (John 6:48-58; Matthew 26:28) Since Jesus' blood was to be poured out on behalf of "many", then the "many" would naturally commemorate his death in the way that he told them to do!

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

all Christians were expected to commemorate this event and partake of the bread and wine as stipulated.

“This means* my body+ which is to be given in YOUR behalf.+ Keep doing this in remembrance of me

They were to keep doing that in remembrance of him. Thus only those who knew him were to do that as the ones who didn't know him would not have anything to remember.

The passover was done in remembrance of their being saved from the angel of death and then their flight from Egypt and freedom. That existed for generations since. The eating and drinking was only for those who knew Jesus. Paul added to it by making it for the congregations later.

But the eating and drinking is done for remembrance, not for salvation or a covenant or anything other than a mental recollection of an event. It is like President's day is for the remembering of the presidents past, not that we knew them. Independence day is to commemorate an event that has a current condition of independence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit