anti-shunning

by Honeybucket 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honeybucket
  • Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

Hi all:

I am in need of some scriptural proof that shunning is wrong and that the WTBTS has twisted the scripture to fit their needs.

Thanks

HB

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

See this: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/disfellowship-shunning.php

In addition, look up the relevant scriptures at http://bible.cc and read the various commentaries.

My take: expelling from the congregation IS scriptural. Shunning is scriptural, but it's the shunning of the action, not the person (2 Tim 2:16; Titus 3:9). The complete ignoring of a person, not even saying a greeting, however, applies to the anti-Christ. Limiting association is what would apply to one called a brother who refuses to change their ways. Limiting association means "not even eating with such a man". It does not mean "not even saying a greeting", such as the anti-Christ.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The shunning of disfellowshipped ones has no basis in Scripture. An 'apostate' is defined as someone who 'stands away from the teachings or abandons a faith in such'. As such, Satan the Devil is viewed as the very first apostate. Was he shunned?

By reading Job 1:6-12; 2:1-7, and Matthew 4:1-11, it is clear that God and Jesus had no concept of a shunning policy for someone who was opposed to their thinking. In the four Gospel accounts, Jesus furnishes us with numerous further examples of how he was more than willing to speak to apostates - the Pharisees and the Sadducees - whom he said were Satan's offspring!

At Mark 3:22-30 Jesus actually called them over to himself, in order to to preach to them. Neither Jehovah nor Christ would condemn us for copying their examples, would they? Likewise, when preaching the good news of the Kingdom, every Witness is obliged to speak to 'apostates' - people within Christendom! Otherwise, preaching within Christendom must stop! Christendom is apostate, isn't it? Or are there differing degrees and classes of apostates? ("apostate Christendom" w05 11/1 p. 24 par. 12)

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

Thank you ffor your input. My husband and I, who disagrees about shunning, agreed to write a paper defending our point of views in the matter. I hope I sink his battleship

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit