Dear Abby gives some good advice

by finally awake 4 Replies latest jw friends

• finally awake
    finally awake

DEAR ABBY: My boyfriend was raised in a family that didn't celebrate holidays, including birthdays. They converted to that religion when he was 10, and while he no longer identifies with that religion, he still doesn't recognize any celebrations.

I was raised with all the traditions surrounding the holidays and the family time that comes with it. I feel they are very important. I have tried explaining this to him, but his attitude toward holidays borders on hatred. He recently told me he wants me to stop including him in activities or conversations related to holidays and birthdays, and I'm not sure what to do. He finds the same activities acceptable as long as they don't happen around a holiday and are not associated with one.

Would it be unfair to ask him to compromise and share certain traditions with me, in light of the fact that he has no family traditions to bring to the table? -- NO HAPPY BIRTHDAYS

DEAR NO HAPPY BIRTHDAYS: You could ask him to compromise, but it would be unrealistic to expect that someone with his ingrained attitude will do so. A fish and a bird may love each other, but it doesn't mean they can happily cohabit. If you want a happy relationship, find someone whose traditions more closely resemble your own.

Maybe Dear Abby has been reading here? LOL

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

unfortunatly Abby is right

kick his butt to the kurb.

oz

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

abby is on the same level as "dr" phil or "dr"oz. theyn are all on the same payrole of the people who dont want you to be healthy. otherwise they would be out of a job. $ is in treatment, not cure.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

like the bible, a few good suggestions do not = pure truth.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    unfortunatly Abby is right. kick his butt to the kurb.

Or, She could be patient and kind, continue on with her celebrations without forcing her husband to be personally or overly involved, making the celebrations as fun and happy as they can be, and eventually her boyfriend/husband will see that there is nothing wrong with it and ultimately decide to join in on the festivities. Too many people nowadays are quick to throw in the towel when it comes to the first sign of relationship problems. Had My Partner and I given up during our "Clumsy" years, we wouldn't be together now to share each other's lives, both of us ultimately happy and content with each other as soulmates and confidants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit