Do JW's need to ask permission for major decisions?

by 00DAD 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Psychologist Steven Hassan writes that ""Destructive mind control can be understood in terms of four basic components, which form the acronym BITE:

I.Behavior Control
    II.Information Control
    III.Thought Control
    IV.Emotional Control

In reference to Behavior Control, he states among other things that people under the influence of Mind-Control " Need to ask permission for major decisions."

So the question naturally arises, "Do JW's need to ask permission for major decisions?"

The answer is of course a resonding, "No!"

But why not? R&F JWs may not need to directly ask the elders or anyone else for permission to make major decisions, but consider the reality of being a JW: All your major decisions are made for you!

The WT Study articles for the last two weeks deal with seven areas that might DISTANCE YOU FROM JEHOVAH if you make the wrong choice. The seven areas are:

• Employment and Career - where, when and why you might want to take a certain job
    • Recreation and Entertainment - the types and time spent
    • Family Relationships - don't communicate with loved ones that have "left Jehovah," not even by email!
    • Technology - don't sell your body parts just to buy fadish gadgets*
    • Health - no facelifts, tummy tucks or boob-jobs
    • Money - I know, you thought this was covered last week under Employment and Career, but that wasn't quite enough. No investing in the stock market. We know the WTBTS invests in hedgefunds, but they know what they're doing. You clearly do not.
    • Pride - the right kind is good, the wrong kind will get you killed at Armageddon.
      • What is the right kind? Being proud to be a JW!
      • What is the wrong kind? Being proud of yourself!

(January 15th, 2013 Watchtower, pp. 12 - 21)

The first of the two study articles concludes by encouraging us to MAKE WISE CHOICES and asks us this thought provoking question:

What is your resolve when it comes to your use of free will?

While the explicit answer is NOT in the paragraphs of the article, it is implicit that the correct answer is:

I will use my free will to do whatever the WT tells me to do!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

* - No I'm not making this up!

"One young man so passionately desired a particular tablet computer that he secretly sold one of his kidneys to buy it. What a shortsighted sacrifice!" - w2013 1/15, p. 17, para. 3

• Quendi
    Quendi

You know, 00DAD, you raise a very important question. My experience of more than thirty years as a Witness is that many have indeed co-opted their right to do so in favor of whatever the WTS thinks is right. The examples you cited in your post are typical.

I don’t know how many times when big decisions had to be made, I was told or heard others told that they should first of all pray to Jehovah and then look in the right direction for the answers to those prayers. Now here’s where the WTS comes in. All too often a Witness would be told that the answer could be found in these places: the Bible, “Christian” (read WTS) publications, from the speaker’s platform at weekly meetings or assemblies/conventions, or directly from elders and other overseers. Of course, when the Bible was consulted, the Witness is invariably steered to the New World Translation as other translations should be viewed with suspicion.

When I decided to go back to college and earn my degree, I was asked had I prayed over the matter. My answer was that I did not think this was a matter for prayer as the decision to go back to college was obviously a good one for my own personal circumstances. You can just imagine how that answer was received, but I didn’t care what the elders thought and I made that perfectly clear to them as well. When they saw they weren’t going to influence me, they ended the visit and left. The subject of my education was never brought up again.

Quendi

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Very true but it still doesn't stop people asking elders and above what they should do in a given circumstance. I bet the ex and current elders on here would have a field day describing all the stupid things they have been asked if it is ok to do or not.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    "One young man so passionately desired a particular tablet computer that he secretly sold one of his kidneys to buy it.
    What a shortsighted sacrifice!"

One JW so passionately desired ever lasting life..He wasted the only life he had,serving the WBT$..

What an Effing Idiot!..

........................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I knew sisters in the cong. that didn't make a decision before asking an elder. Sad to add many of these sisters were married to non-belivers. Knowing one of these sisters very well and also her husband it wasn't always a harmonious household.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

QUENDI:

I know what you mean about hearing JWs "praying" about mundane decisions.

Maybe what people who asked if YOU "prayed" on a matter really meant: "Did YOU go around and ask all the busybodies what they think?" Maybe his advice is "code" for "ask what everybody's opinion is". Well, I never cared what anybody's opinion was. Those idiots weren't supporting me.

Besides, if somebody is jealous of you or wants you to be as miserable as they are, they are not going to encourage you to do anything to better yourself. No, they want you to be stuck just like they are. The good old, misery loves company never fails. It's as old as mankind.

Hypothetical question: As far as somebody "praying" on any matter: how are they supposed to know when they have an answer? Why not start reading tea leaves? It is all too ridiculous to contemplate.

I had NO respect for JWs who needed to be told which shoe to put on first or didn't want responsibility for thinking.

• sd-7
    sd-7

This is sort of a scenario where 'doublethink' comes into play. The Society tells you exactly what your major decisions should be, but then tells you that you must make your own "personal decisions" in such matters. They make clear that certain choices would be 'unwise' or 'dangerous' without directly telling you not to do them.

So the simplest answer is no, but those major decisions are heavily influenced by innuendo and threat, mob-boss style. [Bad mob-boss accent:] "Now, of course, you know, you could go to college. But would it really be a good idea? Think about your family. We wouldn't want anything bad to happen to them. I know you'll do the right thing."

--sd-7

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

What I always loved was when an Elder would tell you something was totally your decision ......then add, but if that is what you decide you will then be limited in receiving certain priviledges ......

My Dad told me they talked with a forked tongue ,Why didn't I listen to him earlier ?

• wasblind
    wasblind

OMG !!!! Outlaw

I don't know wether to laugh or cry !!!!!!

• newdawnfades
    newdawnfades

It isnt actually possible to get permission to take some major decisions. You cannot get permission to take a degree etc but if you do how you are treated will depend to a large extent who you are within the organization. In a lot of cases there are those who get to make their own decisions but the rank and file are pushed in certain directions and controlled by guilt imposed on them by others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit