Saw and talked to an ex-sister-in-law

by Jim_TX 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

So, my wife and I eat lunch and head out to spend the rest of the lunch hour at Goodwill. My wife likes to shop there, looking for bargains, and I like to look at the electronics section for things that get my attention.

Anyway, I was there looking at something and from behind me I hear, "Jim_TX?" in a low unsure feminine voice. I slowly turn around to face a woman standing there.

"Yesss..." I slowly reply, not sure who she is.

"Jim_TX? Do you remember me?" She asks.

"Nooo..." I reply puzzled.

"It's me. Debbie. Cl**'s ex-wife."

"Debbie! Of course! I remember you!" I haven't seen Debbie in about 10 or 11 years.

And so it went. She was married to my ex-brother-in-law - many years ago. Things went south, and she got divorced. Not sure why, and she didn't say.

We talked for a few minutes, catching up. She is more in touch with ex-family than I am. One of her comments was something like, "It looks like all of the W*** family has gotten divorces."

Which is true.

I didn't ask her if she was still a JW - I think that that would have been unnecessary. I don't believe that she is. One of her comments led me to believe that...

"It's funny what we used to do." or something like that.

My wife came over, kind of curious as to who I was talking to. I waved her over from a few clothes racks away, and introduced Debbie to her.

We parted, and she went on her way. It was good to see her again, and to know that she is doing well.

Regards,

Jim TX

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

It is always interesting to see how people develop. Some dubs where you never thought possible get divorced and leave the cult.

Just wondering, are you now in a second marriage? Was your first wife a witness? I don't know your story. Just asking, if you don't mind. Thank you.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

BluePill - thanks for the read and the questions. I can see from my brief posting that I didn't say too much, and it can be confusing, or not interesting to read cold without any of the back story.

I used to be a JW. Not an uber-JW, just the average goes to the meetings and out in field service JW.

My ex was also a JW. Of the same caliber - except when we first met, unbeknownst to me, she was corresponding with a fella in Bethel that she had her eyeball on. That fell through though and so she finally saw me.

We got married - all on the up and up - in a KH and the usual JW blather. We also had a child together.

Twenty years later, I was no longer an active JW. I had faded, but she was still an active JW - and beginning to treat me harshly. Rather than put up with this treatment - that I saw her mother do to her dad, I filed for divorce.

She remarried about a year later to a fella that I never knew of, but she must have met him at one of their assemblies that she always went to.

I remarried about 4 years later to a wonderful woman - who has never been a JW, but knew of them as she once studied with them.

My ex-sister-in-law (Debbie) met and married my ex-b-i-l (CL) and married him. They were both JWs. Debbie was pretty much 'in', as her mom died a very faithful JW. Debbie also had a daughter from a previous marriage... or affair (not sure which).

Anyway, the last time I had seen Debbie (twelve years ago), she had been DFed for something... not sure what (the ex-wife never told me what) - but I am thinking that she had an affair. I talked to Debbie - even though my JW-wife turned and walked away - and Debbie told me that she was going to try to get back in. I don't think that worked out.

Anyway... I hope this helped a little. It's all clear in my head... putting it down in writing does not come out as clearly.

Regards,

Jim TX

• flipper
    flipper

JIM_TX- Interesting experience. I have run into former aquaintances as well , many who are still JW's in my area I used to live in 70 miles south of here who knew me. Unfortunatel most of them are still JW's. I wish I WOULD run into some that have or are exiting this insane cult. One can only hope. Hope that your ex- sister in law is doing good and has her freedom of mind back. Peace out, mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit