Do JWs Try To Convert Believers Of Islam?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• jwleaks
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

i know publishers who learned Arabic and specialize in preaching to Muslims. This happens in predominantly islamic countries - I doubt this is approved by HQ and done with regularity. Maybe it's a case of individual crazy pioneers reaching out where the need is greater.

I remember reading about a JW who thought it was a good idea to preach in Indonesia. Mehdi Hasan has cited Indonesia as an example of a liberal, pluralistic Muslim country. Followers of the religion of peace beheaded the JW.

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    i know publishers who learned Arabic and specialize in preaching to Muslims. This happens in predominantly islamic countries - I doubt this is approved by HQ and done with regularity. Maybe it's a case of individual crazy pioneers reaching out where the need is greater.

Your opinion is perhaps informed by the place where you live. By predominantly islamic country, I mean predominant in terms of population (number) and not how radical they are.

There are plenty countries where muslims are cohabiting peacefully with other religions. Places where extremists will behead you for sharing your beliefs with them are few but unfortunately these are the only ones always under the spotlight.

• carla
    carla
    "....they willfully abandoned Jesus Christ?"- hello pot, this is kettle
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

The WTS has always been more about poaching disgruntled members of other Christian denominations.

That being said, they'll happily take ex-Muslim converts (in the Western World, at least).

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@T in a T

The example I gave was Indonesia, a muslim-majority country hailed by journalist Mehdi Hasan as a vibrant, diverse, forward-looking, pluralist country. It was way too vibrant for the JW missionary - his head fell off.

There are plenty countries where muslims are cohabiting peacefully with other religions - please name these countries.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Too much Islamaphobia in this thread...

In response to Min's original question, in countries where they would get into trouble, they predominantly Witness to Christians but if a trusted "hearing ear " were found - you try and stop them! discreetly of course.

I have witnessed many times to Muslims here in the U K . Very interesting people to talk to and they always respected "The Book". Never known one convert though.

• PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil

I know one lady who was working on one person in our area and we have a Mosque! They were afraid to preach out of fear they could get killed or upset them in the Prophet's faith.

Did you see the News about those idiots in Texas who were drawing a cartoon of the Prophet and the terrorist got shot to death yesterday was it? Why must they push around a hot button topic, Late Night Radio Talk Show said "If this was cartoonist drawing Jesus Christ they would have burned down the building in Texas", he's wrong on that issue but it does not allow those insulting Islam to cause troubles we do not need!

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    There are plenty countries where muslims are cohabiting peacefully with other religions - please name these countries.

The highlighting is mine, just to call attention on the numbers. The rest, which is not underlined remain valid, as we're talking about countries where muslims peacefully cohabit with others.

For the sake for objectivity, I didn't highlight countries which recently had temporary/ spontaneous bouts between muslims and christians, like Egypt and Nigeria.

Of course, this is NOT an exhaustive list, as it s restricted to one continent. However, I insist that on all continents, live Muslims who will not behead you because you share your faith with them.

Source: https://muslimsinafrica.wordpress.com/numbers-and-percentage-of-muslims-in-african-countries/

Algeria: more than 99% of the overall population.

Angola: estimated at 80,000 to 90,000 adherents.

Benin: 24% of the overall population according to the 2002 census.

Botswana: According to a 2011 study by the Pew Research Center, there are approximately 8,000 Muslims, many of whom are of South Asian origin.

Burkina Faso: approximately 61% of the overall population.

Burundi: estimated at between 2% to 5% of the overall population.

Cameroon: 21% of the overall population according to the 2005 census.

Cape Verde: 2% of the overall population according to the country’s National Institute of Statistics.

Central African Republic: 10% of the overall population according to the 2003 census.

Chad: approximately 58% of the overall population according to the 2009 census.

Comoros: more than 99% of the overall population.

Cote d’Ivoire: approximately 35% to 40% of the overall population.

Democratic Republic of the Congo: 5% of the overall population.

Djibouti: 94% of the overall population.

Egypt: approximately 90% of the overall population is Sunni Muslim while the Shi’a Muslims constitute significantly less than 1% of the overall population.

Equatorial Guinea: less than 1% of the overall population.

Eritrea: 50% of the overall population according to the Eritrean government and 36% of the overall population according to a 2010 estimate by the Pew Charitable Trust.

Ethiopia: 34% of the overall population according to the 2007 census.

Gabon: 5% – 10% of the overall population.

Algeria: more than 99% of the overall population.

The Gambia: more than 90% of the overall population.

Ghana: 18% of the overall population.

Guinea: approximately 85% of the overall population.

Guinea-Bissau: 40% of the overall population.

Kenya: 10% of the overall population.

Lesotho: estimated at 4,000 Muslim families according to the International Religious Freedom Report for 2011 according to the International Religious Freedom Report for 2013 Muslim numbers are declining due to emigration to South Africa.

Liberia: 12.2% of the overall population according to the 2008 National Population and Housing Census. Unofficial reports and surveys estimate Muslims constitute between 10 and 20 percent of the population.

Libya: 97% of the overall population.

Madagascar: 10% – 15% of the overall population.

Malawi: approximately 13% of the overall population.

Mali: 95% of the overall population.

Mauritania: almost the entire population practice Islam.

Mauritius: 17% of the overall population according to the 2000 census.

Morocco: more than 99% of the overall population.

Mozambique: 18% of the overall population according to the National Institute of Statistics 2007 census.

Namibia: small community (numbers or percentage are not mentioned).

Niger: more than 98% of the overall population.

Nigeria: estimated at 50% of the overall population.

Republic of the Congo: 2% of the overall population.

Rwanda: 4.6% of the overall population according to the 2002 census.

Sao Tome and Principe: less than 2% of the overall population.

Senegal: approximately 94% of the overall population.

Seychelles: small numbers of Muslims (there is no mention of numbers or percentage). 1.1% according to the CIA Factbook 2012.

Sierra Leone: estimated at 77% of the overall population by the Inter-Religious Council.

Somalia: a large majority of the population is Sunni Muslim (no mention of numbers or percentage).

South Africa: together with Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, and adherents of traditional African beliefs together constitute less than 5% of the overall population (no mention of numbers or percentage). 1.5% of the overall population according to the CIA Factbook 2012.

South Sudan: Studies from the 1980s and the early 2000s estimated Muslims constituted between 18 and 35 percent of the population, but the number of Muslims has probably declined through migration to Sudan after South Sudanese independence in 2011.

Sudan: approximately 97% of the overall population according to the Ministry of Culture and Information (MCI).

Swaziland: approximately 2% of the overall population.

Tanzania: roughly 35% of the overall population according to Pew Forum survey conducted in 2010, whereas according to other reports approximately 50% of the overall population.

Togo: estimated at 14% of the overall population according to a research conducted in 2004 by the Demographic Research Unit of the University of Lome.

Tunisia: 99% of the overall population.

Uganda: 12% of the overall population according to government figures.

Zambia: less than 1% of the overall population according to the 2000 census. There are approximately 140,000 Muslims. Muslim communities are primarily concentrated in Lusaka and in the Eastern and Copperbelt provinces. Many are immigrants from South Asia, Somalia, and the Middle East who have acquired Zambian citizenship. Somali immigration has increased significantly in recent years; the Somali community is estimated at around 20,000, with a majority living in Ndola and Lusaka. A small minority of indigenous persons are also Muslim.

Zimbabwe: approximately 3% of the overall population.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@T in a T - I believe that most Muslims are peaceful people who, like the rest of us, want to get on with their lives.

However, I'm a bit surprised by your willingness to accept a long list of countries with muslim populations and assume that all religions rub along well together and everything's tickety-boo.

You mentioned Egypt. The largest religious minority (~10%) is the Copts. They claim to have been persecuted for decades. I see Somalia is also on your list. Who in their right mind would want to be a Christian living in Mogadishu, or, for that matter, in neighbouring Kenya?

Apparently, Mauritania, a country that officially banned slavery in 2007, prohibits the import, sale and distribution of bibles. What do you think about that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit