If you were a GB member how would you reply?

by sleepy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

If you were a GB member how would you reply to this letter?

I am writing in reply to your letter of the 22 Nov 2001.
    I had previously written with concern over some statements found in the Aug 1, 2001 Watchtower pg 14 which stated, a mature Christian “does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbour private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding”
    You asked me not to take the statement out of context, but failed to explain clearly how I had done so.

It is my understanding that it is believed that the Governing body of Jehovah’s witnesses has the sole responsibility and is the sole channel that can understand and teach Gods message in the Bible. If you do not agree with the “spiritual food” provided by them in some matter , this above statement seams to be telling us to forgo the use of our minds even on these private issues and to trust what someone else says , even ideas make little sense to you.
    In fact since Christian living based on the Bible touches on all aspects of our lives , we are asked only to have ideas or opinions which are directed by the Governing Body of Jehovah’s witnesses.

You direct me to the book of Matthew and talk of the “wonderful provision that he (God) has made to reveal truth through the faithful and discrete slave.” Yet these are not the words of the Bible, nor does the bible indicate that our minds would have to be kept in check by a “faithful and discrete slave”
    The fact than some men could be used by God to help others understand the Bible , does not in its self lead to the conclusion that they solely can understand the bible or that others must come to be in complete agreement with such men or otherwise be viewed as immature Christians.

In fact there is also a difference between the “faithful and discrete slave” and the governing body of Jehovah's witnesses, that has oversight as regard to what is believed by Jehovah's witnesses. Many of the “faithful slave”, that is anointed ones on Earth, have no part in deciding what is considered spiritual truth by Jehovah's witnesses. Most have never been consulted by the Governing body.

So I can see no scriptural backing for the idea that you cannot have private understanding of Biblical matters.
    A scripture from 2 Peter 1 is mentioned , but this is talking about prophecy coming from God, not man .I can not see what bearing that has on the matter, as it is talking of how God used men to utter prophecy.

The idea of not having private ideas as in regard to the Bible , raises some important issues in my mind.

This means we must put our complete trust in the governing body , that they are used exclusively by God and the Bible is not understandable without help from them .

When we put this in line with the comment found in the July 1 2001 Watchtower pg 18 p 3. “Religious exhortations to the effect that you should just believe and should doubt nothing are dangerous and deceptive” we get a problem.

Does this only apply to other religions or to Jehovah’s witnesses also?. Is it only Catholics , born again , muslins etc that need to consider that issue?
    The book “Is there a creator who cares about you” uses a quote on pg. 9 p3, “We invite all who have an open mind to consider this subject. The book Belief in God and Intellectual Honesty notes that one who possesses “intellectual honesty“ is characterised by a readiness to scrutinize what one believes to be true“ and “to pay sufficient attention to other evidence available.””

It does seem dangerous to me that we should let others do our thinking for us , if they make mistakes in understanding Gods word , and because of following them we do also, how do we stand in Gods eyes?
    Can people who supported such regimes as the Nazis , with blessing from their church to do so, claim they are innocent since they were just following who they believed were Gods representatives on Earth?
    What if the society tells us, to do , or not to do something and this turns out to be wrong, yet all along we knew it was wrong but chose to forgo our reasoning ability and conscience due to fear of disobeying the Governing Body of Jehovah's witnesses?
    This has happened before. And everyone in the Governing Body knows it.
    Beliefs and polices have changed, and mistakes have been made.
    Does it make sense then to criticise other religions for following their leaders blindly when Jehovah's witnesses are encouraged to do the same?
    Should we not be following the principle of the July 1 watchtower , in testing all we believe and making decisions for ourselves? Not blindly following what others tell us to think due to fear of being considered disloyal or rebellious.

Is it not dangerous for men to believe that they speak on behalf of God, and that they have absolute authority over his creatures ?Did God write the Bible only for the Governing body or for humans to read and understand?

If I have misunderstood these issues I would like to know how and why.
    I thank you for your time in considering this letter.

• misty
    misty

I am sure that you will never get an answer to this from the GB. As I have never gotten an answer to any of my questions. Even when the elders came to my house, all they could do is say "we think that you should write to the Society". Why? Because our questions make sense, and they contradict their whole system of belief, and show that they are ridiculous in some of their impositions to the 6 million faithful ones who just like in the Nazi era, just followed blindly - trusting that those who led them knew something more than they did.

• happy man
    happy man

Good post, and intresting qestions,i think yopu can send this and see if you have som answer. As a ongoing JW i have notic this step by step
    thinking we are the only who understand , dont think this is so good.Something change sens resoning book sing on site 108, WE ARE NOT INSPIRED PROFHETS.We hade also some wrong expaktaitions.

• happy man
    happy man

Misty.
    I think you miss something very important,the Nazis make peopel kill, JW make peopel not kill,THATS A BIGG DIFFRENS.
    If this is theresult I can even exept brainwhasing.

• detective
    detective
    If you were a GB member how would you reply to this letter?

Me as a member of the GB:
    "you woke me for this?"

• Farkel
    Farkel

The process goes something like this:

1) A person has those kinds of questions and goes to the elders for answers.

2) The elders tell the person to put those questions in writing and send them to the society.

3) The person puts those questions in writing and sends them to the society.

4) The society then forwards that letter back to the elders.

5) The elders receive the letter and then convenes a judicial committee.

6) The person gets booted out and totally screwed.

Some system, huh? But remember, it's all "Bible-based."

Farkel

• Will Power
    Will Power

Isn't letting your children die needlessly the same as killing?

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Well, this GB member will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. In fact, the letter will probably be used for my kitty litter box. Thank you for your contribution, and if you are a baptized Christian, consider yourself disfellowshipped for daring to question our absolute "Biblical" power.

Have a nice day now!

[SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa - For Great Justice!

• out4good3
    out4good3

You'll not get any answer from the GB on that. They're too busy discerning new light and properly timed spiritual food. You'd best be served to just shut your mouth and believe what they tell you.

(sarcasm)

• misty
    misty

Happy man:
    I am well aware that the JW are not the same as Hitler. I was exagerating to show how far following men can get you. I am very thankful for the many long years that I have been misled while being a JW. This is not sarcastic!! They have brought the Bible to me and made me understand it - gave me a good foundation. They helped me witness to others that now gives me a wide field to go undo what I did to now do it right. They gave me the discipline to teach my children what I knew and to keep them in line. That permitted me to also tell them humbly when I screwed up and that they trusted me when I researched to tell them what distortions the JW's inserted in their NWT of the Scriptures. I indeed am very thankful. Now I found Jesus, but i actually think that they had a part to do in that, and I am now trying to lead the rest of my friends in there to Jesus. Maybe you can help too, happy man??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit