What Did He Look Like?

by ozziepost 1 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Mrs Ozzie and I have spent the Easter break having a much needed 'break'. We went to the south coast of New South Wales, not far from old Uncle Bruce, then spent some time in the national capital, Canberra. We wanted to see an art exhibition at the National Gallery of Australia entitled "Titian to Tiapolo, Three Centuries of Italian Art". It's a collection of paintings by Italian masters of the 16th 17th and 18th centuries.

Check it out: http://www.nga.gov.au/exhibitions/

As I was looking on a painting by Mattia Preti entitled The Tribute Money I was struck by the likeness of the apostle Peter in his work dated around 1644-1645 with the likeness of Peter found in recent WTS publications.

I wonder if the WTS art department have seen the picture which is normally kept in Rome, Italy. Mattia Preti's likeness of Peter obviously predates any picture made by the WTS art department, so I'm intrigued by the reason for the similarity.

Anyway, we saw some amazing art works and Canberra was looking beautiful in the autumn sunshine. Long shadows and diffused light with some trees already having their leaves changing to a reddish colour. Beautiful city. Beautiful country. Beautiful paintings.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• roybatty
    roybatty

Ozzie,

Do they have a pic of his work on the web site? I didn't see one there.
    If you're ever in the States and enjoy art, you have to check out the Art Institute of Chicago. One of the best around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit