What do you think? Should chimpanzees be granted 'personhood'?

by fulltimestudent 31 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Chimps are not humans. Do we want them to be a "people" the way some Native tribes consider all animals to be a "people?" Are we going to have Wolf people, Bear people, or Rat people?? Where does it end?

I agree that we should not abuse other species, but we are not yet evolved enough to stop that behavior as a species. Perhaps we need to start educating humans on animal behavior?

Animals aren't stupid. Some like to downgrade all that they do to instinct and being "instinctively wise." If they are merely programmed by DNA and not "smart" then neither are we, becuase we are animals too. Our entire view of other life must evolve if we are to make another leap.

Chimps and Gorrillas paint, learn sign language, mourn their loved ones, remember being captured by poachers, adopt other animals, ect. Dolphins play and learn and have been shown to not only memorize words, but they can use abstract reasoning to "theorize" and solve problems. There are also some dogs who can do the same, they don't just memorize things for a snack, they think ahead.

I remember reading a story about a chimp or gorilla who was not an alpha male. This guy learned,somehow, that the other males were afraid of trash cans. He couldn't physically beat the Alphas, so he used his brain and scared them by kicking the trash cans around. Now he gets all the ladies..yeah baby!!

As humans we are deficient when it comes to communicating with the other intelligent species on our planet. We can do better. We can start showing some respect to the other "people" who have earned their right to be here.

DD

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

LoveUniHate Exams,

"If they're freed, and live elsewhere, should the chimps pay rent?"

They can be freed in the African forest.

As for personhood that is a question that really has no answer. For instance, and I realize they're extinct, are different species of human beings considered persons? How about Neandertals; Homo Heidelbergensis (more primitive as I go along); Homo Erectus; Australopithecus?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What do you think? Should chimpanzees be granted 'personhood'?

Why not?..

I`m sure one of them could Easily Replace our Canadian Prime Minister..

....................Image result for Funny stephen harper

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Outlaw, that PM looks like he's wearing the paper crowns that Burger King gives to children.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Outlaw, that PM looks like he's wearing the paper crowns that Burger King gives to children

LOL!!@Village Idiot!!..

Yes it probably is.....It`s a well deserved photo shop pic.....He behaves like badly behaved child..

His Mrs. recently sent out Birthday Cards for him.....You could "Sign and Return with a Cash Donation"..LOL!!

Right now most Canadians would be grateful to replace him with a monkey..LOL!!..

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Tempest in a Teacupa day ago: So far as they can pay taxes too, no problem!

Yeah, that's OK, they can pay tax out of all the rent, they should receive from humans who have wrongfully alienated Chimpanzee land.
    --------------------------

Barrold Bonds: a day agoif they're considered people can we fuck them?

How about turning the question around. If we say 'yes' to your question, will male chimpanzees be entitled to screw your daughter?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Outlaw, I'm Village Idiot not Vidiot!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Outlaw, I'm Village Idiot not Vidiot!

LOL!!..

Sorry Bud..I fixed it..

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    That's ok OUTLAW.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Chimps granted personhood?

Probably more likely than apostates being granted personhood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit