I don't wanna buy 2 books

by DanTheMan 8 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Crisis of Conscience, or In Search of Christian Freedom - which do you recommend if I was only to buy one of the two? THANKS

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

you dont need to buy either of them.
    go to the site where the old WTs are located, and start reading yourself.
    Ray Franz isnt Gods oracle.
    http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbv5/links

Crisis.. is Rays personal story of haggling with the org and getting kicked out.
    Theres a lot of letters and phone calls etc in that book.

In search.. is much more extensive. It picks the whole belief system apart.
    That help??

• ISP
    ISP

I would get COC. I would buy it also.

ISP

• Prisca
    Prisca

"Christian Freedom" quotes about a third of "CofC", so it might help to read "CofC" first to understand where he's coming from.

On the other hand, you might feel that since he quotes "CofC" in "CF", then you can save money by buying "CF" and get 1.33 for the price of 1.

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

If you can, get both. Crisis of Conscience is more exposing the Watch Tower, and In Search of Christian Freedom is more about the doctrines and how many of them are not scriptural at all. I think both need reading more than once. If money is a problem I would buy In Search of Christian Freedom, and get Crisis of Conscience from your local library. In Search of Christian Freedom is a thick book [732 pages] and really needs to be around for references. Or maybe you could get both from the library, and then decide after you have read them if you wish to buy them for your own personal reference copies. (Beware the library versions may be old editions)

The latest version [2000] of Crisis of Conscience has quotes up to June 2000, so make sure you get that one and not an older version. (Amazon.com list it as 1999, but when mine came it was the second printing of the third edition, which was 2000)

• Scully
    Scully

Why not see if you can borrow them from the local library?

That way you don't have to decide which one to buy until you've had a chance to figure out which one suits your needs best.

We borrowed Crisis of Conscience from the library, read it cover-to-cover a couple of times, and then went to a local Christian bookstore and ordered In Search of Christian Freedom.

That was about 7 years ago.

When the new edition of Crisis of Conscience was released recently, we ordered it via amazon.com

They're both worth having, but I found In Search of Christian Freedom much more liberating doctrinally. It helped quite a bit with that nagging question "but where else is there to go?"

Love, Scully

• SoulJah
    SoulJah

CoC is a must read and it flows. I finished it in 2 weeks. ISoCF is good also but i'm still trying to finish it; takes a while to digest, but so far worth the effort!

One day we'll all be together,until then I'm ready for whatever
    ---Tupac Shakur

• Doc_jedd
    Doc_jedd

.....I found ISOCF was the more informative book, I have both books and have read them twice they are worth the money and I wouldn`t part with them............Jedd

• Simon
    Simon

CoC is more Ray's personal story
    ISoCF is an in depth look at the beliefs and practices (about 3x the size)

I liked them both ... having to compare them is like comparing apples and oranges - one isn't better, they are just different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit