A lost sheep on H20 guys...

by sunscapes 1 Replies latest jw friends

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=311102&CategoryID=2967&startcat=1&ThreadID=132717

Thank you, a thousand times thank you. It's nice to hear others sharing open mindedness about life and love and belief as well.

I myself know a few people in mixed marriages. Two very close friends of the family are marriages in which one member is JW and the other is not. My parents even, though neither is JW, are in a similar situation. My father is loosely catholic (not a practitioner, he has beliefs, but doesn't really agree with a lot of the practices of organized religion) and my mother is agnostic. They had their 25th anniversary recently, and are in the most loving, caring, healthy relationship I've ever known.

I'm still curious about the possibility of holding the marriage in Kingdom Hall (is that the right term? it slips my mind at the moment). Is that totally out of the question? Hmm.. I would probably have to talk to a local brother and see how they feel about it.

my reply was...

Yeah, right!

No, the term is KingDUMB Hall, and Yes, like Prisca says, it's totally out of the question. I'm surprised that, supposing your relationship becomes public jw knowledge, that she hasn't been DF'd already! (For unrepentently considering marrying outside "the Lord" gag ugh). My advice to you is, first of all, don't go charging into a religion fraught with error! Secondly, if she REALLY loves you and is open-minded, maybe SHE will leave and maybe read Crisis of Conscience and In Search Of Christian Freedom, together WITH you!

Now, the "loosely Catholic" example you give is exactly that: he is de facto NOT Catholic, and fits his relationship quite well with his agnostic wife. To compare THAT with what you're proposing is quite like apples and oranges. If she's devout JW or gets pressure, she'll have blinders on. If she finds the truth behind the "truth", however, then both of you will be considerably happier, and you can skip the kingdumb hall nonsense. If that happens, I'll put a big wager on betting you've found a True Soul Mate.

These are but some of the considerations you'll face; the decision's yours of course.

Please go there guys and drive some SENSE into this poor fellow, or at least tell him to post here!
  • Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Good answers! Well done **applause**

Penn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit