We just laughed and laughed

by irondork 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• irondork
    irondork

An experience was told buy one of our congregation's uber pioneer sisters regarding a bible study she brought to the Memorial last year. A good study. Smart. Asked all the right questions. Was hungry for the truth.

In the middle of the memorial, as the bread and wine were being passed, NOT CONSUMED, the study got up and walked out. She was so offended by what she saw she had to leave.

We all just laughed and laughed and laughed... because we knew she didn't have an accurate knowledge of the truth.

The roomie and I will be commemorating the Lord's Evening Meal in our home again this year. This will be the second time I partake according to Christ's instructions.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

"The roomie and I will be commemorating the Lord's Evening Meal in our home again this year. This will be the second time I partake according to Christ's instructions."

Likewise!!!

• Sulla
    Sulla

That is funny, irondork.

Questions for you two, though -- including searcher, if you don't mind.

Are you still doing this one time each year -- a sort of Maundy Thursday activity? If so, it is because you accept the JW reasoning that communion is supposed to displace the Passover as an annual event?

How are you timing this? Its a weird two-part question, so let me explain. JWs celebrate on the wrong day -- in the very earliest hours of Nisan 14 instead of the earliest hours of Nisan 15 -- which do you select? Related to that, are you making a choice between the synoptic gospel's recording of the event (as a Nisan 15, passover meal) or with the gospel of John's remembering (as a Nisan 14, pre-Passover meal)?

I should mention that I agree with your view that Christians eat this meal.

• irondork
    irondork

Sulla, I've considered those questions before have decided , FOR MYSELF, that the precise date/time/etc... is not important.

I accept that all Christians have their belief system part right and part wrong. I'm no exception. If the absolute correct way to understand things was so vital that our eternal salvation hinged on it, then I believe it would be a lot more obvious to everyone. That approach applies to every doctrine I hold to be true, according to my fluid understanding of things, and to the method by which I commemorate Christ's sacrifice.

In my opinion, none of us are going to be found acceptable by God because we had all our T's crossed and I's dotted. Ain't NObody gonna walk in to paradise because they got all the multiple choice questions right. The main reason I take this attitude toward it is: I'm not a bible scholar and never will be. Beyond my willingness to be led by holy spirit, I would be at the mercy of other people's (even scholarly) opinions. Right or wrong, I am confident I am doing things correct enough, or I would be adjusted by "the teacher".

Like my understanding of the scriptures in general, I will follow Christ's instructions regarding this event to the best of my personal understanding. I prefer not to promote any aspect of it so that I don't come between someone else and their right to arrive at an acceptable arrangement between themselves and their conscience.

I understand your questions, though. I was asking the same things before I partook at home last year - I was curious about the format used by others. Ironically, I never got a straight answer from anyone. Nothing in depth, anyways. I'm kinda glad it worked out that way. Now, the program of worship I have with God is MINE. Come judgement day, God will look at me and say, "Jason, I see what YOU did here."

• irondork
    irondork

Likely, the next thing out of his mouth will be, "Who's gonna clean up that mess?"

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

reminds me of an entire family who arrived at the KH. They were studying. Well the WT study went on and on about wordly people and how they lack any moral sense. The dubs were happy to poo poo the world and all those in it wit their comments. The family got up after about 15 minutes of that nonsense. I never saw them again, nor heard of any "progress" in the studies.

Brings a smile to my face

• Sulla
    Sulla

Hey irondork. I see you've thought this through. It seems that you are, at this point, still just planning to do communion once this year around the time of the Memorial (plus or minus a few days). Does it seem to you that you are lacking anything at all by having such a small group with which to share communion? Or do you suppose that there is some larger way in which you are connected with the body of all Christians?

I ask merely for information: I don't think my perspective is unknown and I'm interested in yours.

• irondork
    irondork

We do it once a year. We base that decision on the fact that the ancient Israelites celebrated the Passover annually. We considered the monthly/weekly/daily methods promoted by some, but decided, FOR US, more than once a year would detract from the specialness of the occasion. When something becomes a rote proceedure, it loses value.

I don't feel like we're lacking anything with just the two of us doing it. Last year, we just did it ourselves. This year, we have invited my family (who will not speak to us anyway - so, not holding our breathe there) and another friend & family (who will likely pass, as they still go to the Kingdom Hall). Our home is open to whomever would like to join us but I don't think we are lacking without them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

My take on it is that Jesus was not linking it to the Passover celebration, he was demonstrating how when the followers came together they could remember all about him by partaking of the bread and wine, all his teaching and example would be called to mind and heart. It was a unifying ritual that kept the christians focussed.

I believe that in the "Love Feasts" that the christians held, they shared a special communion cup and broke and ate bread together in a special way, as well as sharing food etc more generally, each time they met, not just once a year. I cannot prove that, I just feel it.

Having said that, I don't think the real Jesus was overly concerned about procedure, so whatever you feel is right no doubt is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit