Question about future enthusiasm of the congregations.

by Fading Begins 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins

I was the store manager of a large furniture store - part of a national chain. We had large sales once month, and giganic four day sale every quarter with a large amount of print and tv advertising. For these quarterly sales we would have conference calls every morning with our directors to report our numbers, contests for the salespeople, and target goals for each salesperson, individual store, and the national district. The store managers would have staff meetings at 8:30 am and 1:00 pm - again to rouse the troops, instill a sense of urgency. The sad part was, that as soon as that sale ended, another began, and you would start all over.

This is just like the organization. I can remember in much earlier days, we would would have a thermometer at the front of the hall in April, with a "target" number of hours, mags etc., etc. Believe me, if we were not making the "goals", then we would be putting in extra hours - street corner work before the bookstudy Tues nite, extra time out in service after the PT and Watchtower study. We always reached our goals, and didn't feel pressured - instead we felt proud. There was much more of a "brotherhood" way back then, people actually cared about each other.

I think the society has forgotten (or never experienced it) being insulated in their little, snug bethel rooms) how much these "local" endeavours could do for the morale of the congregation, and strenghthen faith. They have become so "commercial" and "secularly engaged" at head office, that they have absolutely no realistic feeling for the little people that make up the organization. Because of this, they have to use "sales & marketing methods" to raise any zeal or enthusiasm in the continuation of the work. You know they analysed how tired the brothers are becoming by the way they have cut back on activities like length of meetings, ending the book study, shortening circuit and district assemblies. Also the drawing back that the elders have read about in letters about legal liability, individual incorporation for each congregation, ownership of buildings and land of congregations by the WBTS even though the congregation paid the mortgage. They refuse to directly answer confrontational letters by individual publishers. Even visits to Bethel are now "commercially" booked.

Do you think that this impersonal approach by the society will have a continuing impact on the enthusiasm and zeal of individual congregation members. Now that the "end of the world" scare tactics are winding down, what else do you think they can implement to keep the "little people" motivated, and their enthusiasm up.

Interested in your thoughts.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The problem is that there aren't any "sales" anymore. Nobody joins up! So you have this undercurrent of getting zero results in return for all kinds of investment on the labor side.

What was it last year, something like 6,500 hours of preaching = 1 baptism? Born ins have to be close to 80% of that number in the developed world, I have no clue about other areas. So in a developed nation, you are looking at more like 20,000 to 30,000 hours of preaching for an off the street convert? Those kind of number are mind boggling, think of all the wasted gas, wasted time, coffee breaks etc...

That is why they keep playing up this bullshit that being seen = a great witness, even if people don't listen. They are desperately trying to convince the troops that what they are doing is meaningful, when in reality they are just wasting time.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

That's an interesting analogy!

You can see the GB consolidating their power and withdrawing into their ivory towers, throwing the elders to the wolves, and squeezing the R&F for every penny they have. It's pathetic. They don't have an impetus like 1975 at their disposal. That was the ultimate fire sale. I don't know how they're going to keep enthusiasm up or hold onto the minds of the R&F now that they have the Internet to contend with.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The average JW in the west at least, with those kinds of figures, if he or she does just 10 hours a month, they could be in for fifty years and never make a convert !

Not much to enthuse about there !

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Remember when we used to lament how the people at the doors had become so apathetic to the message? Apathy has infected the congregation and I think it's a result of those of us who were raised in or our kids who were born in realizing that the message has become hollow... and the lifestyle we promote is shortsighted and unrealistic. Recognize too that the org has encouraged congregation members to be judgemental about each other - remember last years convention demo with young people watching tv and one storms off stage telling everyone how the program is stumbling her!

My parents tell me (who are still quite active) that the "truth" just isn't the same anymore....

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins

Gingerbread - that's exactly how I feel as well. Where the borg has gone wrong is there is no warmth or genuine caring in the congregation anymore. My Mom who wants me to go to meetings regularly again, will tell me multiple reasons why she's upset and "shocked" by the local brothers, but when I say anything negative, she closes her ears. I've come to the conclusion that at her age, there literally is "no other place for her to go" so I don't rock the boat to often.

But it was so much different 50 years ago, the congregation was much more loving, caring, showing genuine affection for each other. I think the change came when the society started to realize how much money they could make off the brothers, and it became a commercial enterprise instead of a source of spiritual love and support.

When all of the pre-75 jw's die, I think, then, you will see a massive decrease in the statistics, a result of the final loss of the "warm memories"for these faithful brothers, also the internet, and the educated, enlightened public, who scoff at women not being able to wear slacks to meetings and out in service, men not allowed facial hair, kids who are frowned on for wanting a higher education, and all the other unrealistic "policies" spouted by the borg.

• prologos
    prologos

I think when you contrast the genuinly enthusiastic shepherds of old: example Laurier Saumure or RR, LC, WS-- and the current crop of enforcers and their underlings, and

the policies they have to dictate, it is no wonder with all the factors already mentioned, its only personal relationships that count.

Of course we thought that the message was important, wrongly so, but

there is no more message except

obey and contribute.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Fading Begins - I come from a large family that is well known in the area - four generations. I have to be very careful during this fading process! My folks - being up in years - are much like your Mom. They have been in for so long that meetings and service are just another part of life. And that's fine with me. I don't want to add any stress to their lives by trashing the org every chance I get. I do however - and they do listen - bring up facts about the history of the org and of our beliefs. They say the "love of the greater number" is cooling off right within "our religion" and sight the aggressiveness of "the brothers" just finding seats at an assembly or convention as an example.

My Dad has a wicked sense of humor! We've discussed the Candace Conti lawsuit and he hopes she wins in the end. I think they've stopped contributing the the "world wide work" since the initial verdict was announced. He says "that's really money that pays the lawyers and pays off victims of abuse to keep them from going public !!!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit