2013 District Convention Program: ‘God’s Word is Truth!’

by bats in the belfry 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Public Talk title "What is Truth ?" LOL, the guy giving it looks around at what is biting his arse, it has a big label on it "TRUTH !" , but he doesn't recognise it.

• mP
    mP

Its amazing how much they avoid the OT and to think thats the word of God.

• franticfran
    franticfran

Am constantly stunned at how quickly information makes it on to this forum !!!!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Trying to figure out how to get out of three days of Hell.......

Doc

• moshe
    moshe

They seem to have gone symposium crazy- the JWs can't have a birthday party , because they can point to ancient pagans who got rowdy and at those parties-- but a symposium, now that is perfectly fine---- wikipedia--

The Greek symposium was a key Hellenic social institution. It was a forum for men of good family to debate, plot, boast, or simply to revel with others. They were frequently held to celebrate the introduction of young men into aristocratic society. Symposia were also held by aristocrats to celebrate other special occasions, such as victories in athletic and poetic contests.

Symposia were usually held in the andron (?νδρ?ν), the men's quarters of the household. The participants, or "symposiasts", would recline on pillowed couches arrayed against the three walls of the room away from the door. Due to space limitations the couches would number between seven and nine, limiting the total number of participants to somewhere between fourteen and twenty seven [2] (Oswyn Murray gives a figure of between seven and fifteen couches and reckons fourteen to thirty participants a "standard size for a drinking group"). [3] If any young men took part they did not recline but sat up. [4]

Pietro Testa (1611–1650): The Drunken Alcibiades Interrupting the Symposium (1648).

Food and wine were served. Entertainment was provided, and depending on the occasion could include games, songs, flute-girls or boys, slaves performing various acts, and hired entertainment.

Symposia often were held for specific occasions. The most famous symposium of all, described in Plato's dialogue of that name (and rather differently in Xenophon's) was hosted by the poet Agathon on the occasion of his first victory at the theater contest of the 416 BC Dionysia. According to Plato's account, the celebration was upstaged by the unexpected entrance of the toast of the town, the young Alcibiades, dropping in drunken and nearly naked, having just left another symposium.

The men apart of the symposium would discuss a multitude of topics—from philosophy to love and the differences between genders.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Looking foward to this convention! Unlike when I was "mentally in" I am an avid note-taker now. I've been able to make some great points with my wife from my convention notes. What makes it really effective is that the rhetoric they use at the conventions is far stronger that what they publish - its pretty much unfiltered; and when I read back exactly what was said to my wife, it is irrefutable and powerful.

I've told my wife that as much as I'm really no longer a witness, she really isn't either, something she doesn't want to believe or think about. She doesn't want to believe 7B people will die forever at Armageddon; but look what the speakers said at the DC! You think the society has "softened" on educatoin? Here's how they really feel. You don't think their manipulating people with guilt to do their bidding? Here's a talk from the DC that proves otherwise.

Good stuff!

• moshe
    moshe

And what happened to the lofty one hour sunday afternoon keynote address?- the one that JWs spent weeks handbilling the public in the convention city . It was a "life saving work" for JWs getting the message out about this public talk.

Apostates-they never forget them-

• sir82
    sir82

So what do you think the new literature releases will be?

Obviously the last tallks on Friday and Saturday are when they are released.

Based on the talk titles, seems like Friday is the most likely for an actual book - would seem to be something centered on the Bible itself. Maybe something to replace the SI book (now 20+ years since its last revision)? Or an update to "The Bible - God's Word or Man's?"

It might even be the long overdue update to the "Reasoning" book, which is nearing 25 years since its last update. It is ful of "old light".

• ambersun
    ambersun

Sunday 10.00am Symposium: Jehovah's Promises Always Come True - Joshua 23:14

Oh yes, like the promise that we would all now be living in the New System along with the generation that saw the outbreak of WWI and all the other millions that were told throughout the 20th century that they would "never die" who are now pushing up daisies

Oh to be a heckler in the audience during THAT particular talk hee hee

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I posted this on a thread over at Jehovahswitnessrecovery.com earlier and thought it was worth reposting, possibly.

I would guess ( and this is purely a guess) at a convention of around 3000 JW attendees, that the word "Truth" would be said on average of 15-20 times a day per person ( this would not be taking into effect the "type" we all know that will use the word "Truth" in excess of 100 times) and possibly heard by on average 1.5 times each time it is said. Some may not even consciously know their hearing it being said, as it's within earshot but does not register.

15 X 3000 x 1.5 is 67,500 "Truth" impressions on the minds as a whole per day x 3 = 202,500 for all 3 days.

That portion is just the casual conversation from among the JWs, add in the DC program Talk names and
    If my numbers are not too far out of line and my math is correct and you take roughly 51 talks that will cover some aspect of the word "Truth" and you imagine each speaker using the word Truth, True (pure guess) 15 times each that would get you 765 times and multiply that times 3000 you would get 2,295.000 "Truth" impressions on the talks alone.
    Add that to the "person to person" impressions for 3 days and you get a whopping 2,497,500 total impressions in just 3 days.
    That's a whole lota lies to work out of your minds this year. I would not attend myself.
    P.S. Sorry about all the math, did not intend to go there initially and please tweak the numbers if you think they are out of line as I just guessed.
    Scummydross aka NJY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit