Washington Post 2/25/13: "Losing my Religion"

by respectful_observer 1 Replies latest jw experiences

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Sound familiar??

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/advice/forums#!/topic/1361811219-286-914/

Any way this can end well? From a reader:
    I was raised in a very conservative Christian family. I attended religious schools all the way through college.
    I was a religious person but I started slowly drawing away from it during college, and I have decided that it's simply not for me anymore and a waste of my time.
    The problem is my parents. Both have been very involved with the church, teaching Bible studies and classes, and being elders. It is a very important part of their life.
    I am in my late 20's, have a steady job and moved out of home several years ago, but I still live all of 10 minutes away from my parents. I have dinner with them from time to time and they expect to see me in church on Sunday mornings. I have tried just not showing and then I get a lecture. I've tried saying I'm going hiking or have other plans and get still get lectures and questions like, "How do you worship God?" I show up right as the service starts and leave immediately after. I don't tithe or participate in any classes or bible study groups.
    My parents have noticed me pulling away and my father in particular has become very annoying about it.
    I do love my parents and want to continue having a relationship with them, but I'm frankly sick of having to go to church and being lectured about things I couldn't care less about. I wish I could just tell them once and for all that I don't believe in religion, but I'm afraid of their reaction. How do I know they won't disown me or just stop talking to me? How do I know they won't launch a full-scale assault to convert their heathen child? 22 Hours Ago
  • zeb
    zeb

I the 'last' child and was treated this way in all matters for years.

Do the parents have any hobbies or creative interests? Time they got some.

Are they retired? Making use of their working years now as you wish to do.

I wish you well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit