just heard that it is possible to make a gun using a 3d printer is this star trek or what?

by 20yearfader 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

On the radio today i heard that it is possible to make toys and guns using a 3d printer.Is everything in star trek becoming reality?Give some examples of things that we use today that were thought up on the star trek series.

• stillin
    stillin

I heard a segment on NPR today to that effect, too. Not just a gun but a clone of an AR15! Plastic apparently, and functional.

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

These printers cost more than 20 AR15s. You could kill more people with a bat than a plastic AR. The neat thing is in the near future we could need a side mirror for our car. Instead of going to the dealer to get the part, we will drive to the print shop and have a licensed part printed.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Current technological advances are showing us just a glimpse of what is really out there. 3D printing is the wave of the future, and I have read that they are already experimenting on being able to print actual body parts for transplant!

• mP
    mP

Thts all lies, 3d Printers can only print using quick drying plastics. They cannot print with metals which of course means you cant print guns. Think hot glue gun but on a much finer more accurate scale, but your still getting plastic. If you want a costly water pistol then sure, a real gun that can fire bullets no way.

• stillin
    stillin

It sounds like a few of us didn't hear the report. There IS real concern over the printer being able to produce the lower receiver of an assault rifle. There ARE at least 10 individuals who have produced actual, functioning weapons. And those are the ones above the radar.

I wondered, too, about plastic barrels and firing chambers. The report didn't answer that. They were just doing what the liberal media does best, stirring up alarm.

• blondie
  • Caedes
    Caedes

mP

3D printers can print powdered metals which are then sintered into a solid. Sintered metal is great for making filters or artificial joints but not so great for gun barrels. A huge range of plastics can be 3D printed icluding engineering plastics not just the hot glue gun variety. Apart from that you are correct current 3D printers cannot print a gun barrel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit