Alternative Watchtower

by jonno12225 3 Replies latest jw friends

• jonno12225
    jonno12225

Hi all. Heres a thought expereiment.

What do you think the Watchtower would be like if it had started in Europe instead of America.

In Europe at the time of the 1800's you had an interesting period of social, political and scientific change. Womens rights movenment were making strides in bettering their standing in society. Many religious institutions welcomed Darwins explanation of evolution over time.

How do you think this back drop would have influenced the religions precursers and founders? What would the religion look like today?

• ambersun
    ambersun

Very interesting point. Personally, and in line with everything you said about life in Europe in the 1800s compared to America and how these factors would have influenced people at the time, I think the ideals and doctrines of the Watchtower could ONLY have come from America. Also, Russell and especially Rutherford were flamboyant outgoing characters with powerful public speaking voices that you could not easily ignore. The British psyche was totally different at that time. We as a nation were far more reserved. Anything coming out of America was exciting and intriguing to many over this side of the pond, which would have made it attractive and fashionable. I doubt it would have taken off if it had been the other way round.

• erbie
    erbie

At that time America was the perfect fertile soil in which a cult can take root.

I really don't think that it would ever have been conceived in Europe...

At least I hope not.

• prologos
    prologos

europe is very diverse, but in our neck of the woods, religion was a joke, not to be taken seriously. France too has a healthy dose of anti - clergy sceptisism. of course

way back europeans took their religion very very very seriously, fought decades of wars. willing to die, kill divinely.

One religion usually totally dominated one region. stifling dissent, emergence of enlightenment.

Taken any religion/idea westward across the atlantic still left them intact.

Made in USA --melting-pot--/--crack-pot was the way to go. Mormon, Russelite and other lights.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit