Does fear of military service motivate baptisms?

by gingerbread 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

As I approached the Post Office just before my 18th birthday to register for the Selective Service, I was scared to death. I was registering for "the draft." I'd heard all the stories of young witness men being brought before registration boards to justify their neutrality stand. I also knew of brothers who came of age during the Vietnam war who jumped right into full time pioneering. If these guys had a Dad as an elder, they were in a good position because strings could be pulled to get them into Bethel....avoiding a jail term. When I turned 16, I began to save a copy of all of my monthly service reports (it was advised) to prove - if and when a future war and draft might begin - that I was a regular volunteer in religious service. I even kept my talk outlines in a notebook. I remember being glad that I was baptized the year before. All of this would be good evidence to present to the draft board! Looking back on it now I realize that we young guys were filled with fear that really strenthened a persecution complex.

I think this fear was one of the main reasons I decided to get dunked...

• blondie
    blondie

Back in the days of the draft, young male jws tried everything they could to be viewed as ministers and get a 4D (4F is something else) status.

Baptism

Regular pioneering as young as possible

Applying and going to Bethel

Get appointed an MS

No draft today not since 1973 and changed to an all volunteer military, 40 years ago. Does it motivate it today, well, if the draft starts up again because there are not enough volunteers, perhaps.

Fear of Armageddon motivates more baptisms.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I turned 18 in 1969. I was not connected with JW's in any way at the time. EVERYBODY I knew was trying to find away to avoid the draft. If we ever reinstate the draft something big will have hit the fan, the draft may well be the least of anybody's troubles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit